By Genevieve Grossmann
Of Lacrosse Evolution
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/7/08
Stick skills are by far the most important facet of the girls’ game of lacrosse. If you spend time working on the wall and following this routine I guarantee that you will become a better player. All great lacrosse players have spent hours and hours on the wall.
For Best Results:
1. Find a flat brick or concrete wall at least 10 feet high, the longer the better.
2. Every drill that you do – be sure to do it with both hands.
3. Always wear your goggles when you are performing your routine – you play with goggles so you have to practice catching with them on.
4. Stand 5-7 yards away from the wall.
5. Perform this routine at least 4-5 times per week.
6. Challenge yourself – Beginners should aim for 25 reps each, experienced should hit 50 before switching.
7. Each routine should be at least 20 minutes in length- if you finish all drills in less than 20 minutes, increase the amount of reps, or repeat drills starting with the drill that challenged you the most.
Basic Lacrosse Wall Ball Drills:
Two hand catch, cradle, and throw: (one quick cradle);
Quick sticks: Catching and Throwing without stopping to cradle;
Throw Strong/Catch Reverse: “reverse” means stick in right hand on the left side of body, or stick in left hand on right side of body;
Throw Reverse/Catch Strong;
Throw Right/Catch Left: change hands each time you throw the ball while the ball is in the air;
Throw Left/ Catch Right; -On the Go: running along the wall throwing and catching with both hands, change direction to come back. Always catch with your leading hand (stick is extended in the hand of the direction you are moving).
-Win the Draw: Stand 15 yards away from wall. Throw bounce ball 5” from the wall. When it bounces off the wall, it should be launched toward you very similar to if you were going after the draw on the circle. Practice your one-handed reach and timing of your jump, immediately protect the ball into a cradle.
Advanced Lacrosse Wall Ball Drills:
-All Reverse: Throw Left Handed Reverse/Catch Right Handed Reverse, that’s one. Then, Throw Right Handed Reverse/ Catch Left Handed Reverse, that’s two. Keep going till you hit your rep goal.
-One Handed: (no your coach will not want you do catch like this in a game, but if you can build your arm strength and coordination to be able to do this, than you will never drop a ball when you are catching with 2 hands!)
-Behind the Back
-Around the World
-Quick Reaction. Stand facing the wall. Have a parent or friend stand behind you and throw the ball against the wall. Since you will not see it when they throw it, you have to react quickly to the ball to catch it. Challenge yourself by standing closer to the wall when you are comfortable. This is great for goalies!
-Create your own drill: Be creative and make sure you use both hands.
If you are having trouble understanding what any of these drills are or if you want more inspiration, ask a parent and go to http://www.youtube.com and search for “lacrosse wall ball”. There are lots of instructional videos available that demonstrate these skills.