Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 3/2/22
From St. Joseph’s Press Release
Lauren Figura (Lenape) scored four goals and Lisa Ross posted a six-point performance as the host Saint Joseph’s women’s lacrosse team topped Villanova, 16-12, at Sweeney Field on Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Villanova (1-4) opened the scoring but the Hawks took over soon after, ending the first quarter with a 7-3 advantage. Ross tallied twice during the stretch and added an assist for a three-point quarter.
• Saint Joseph’s (3-2) pushed the lead to 8-3 on a goal by Emma O’Neill early in the second, but the Wildcats scored the final three goals of the first half to send the game into halftime at 8-6 in favor of SJU.
• A five-goal third quarter put the Hawks in control after three as Rilea Fusco, Riley Evans, and Sydney Foster all tallied before Figura hit for two in a row to end the frame and give the Hawks a 13-7 lead.
• Sophia Kolkka (1G, 6DC, 5CT, 2GB, Plymouth Whitemarsh) opened the fourth with a goal and Figura pushed the advantage to eight with 13 minutes to play, but Villanova made a late surge, scoring three times in a six-minute span to cut the hawk lead to 15-10 with six minutes remaining.
• Ross capped off her hat trick with 3:17 to go, and Villanova would tack on two more to close out the scoring.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE
• Reigning Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Week Jorden Concordia made nine saves for SJU, while Alexa Moro made nine of her own for the Wildcats.
• Villanova’s Caroline Curnal led all scorers with five goals, and Alexa Tshalis added two goals and two assists for a four-point day for the Wildcats.
• Evans, Foster, Fusco, and O’Neill all posted three points apiece for the Hawks.
• Kolkka filled the stat sheet with six draw controls, tied with Evans for the team lead, and a game-high five caused turnovers.