follow us on...

Women’s NCAA playoffs: Trimble (Episcopal Ac), Duke top Princeton, 10-9, in OT

Saturday, 11th May 2013

Categories College, Girl's/Women's, NCAA Women's Final Four, Posted 5/11/13
From Press Release

Princeton’s season ended in a heartbreaking double overtime loss to Duke, 10-9 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday night.

Princeton proved to be dominant in the circle winning 17 of 22 in the game but was called for a foul on the last draw giving Duke possession. Maddy Acton scored the game winner 45 seconds later to end the Tigers’ season and hopes of advancing.

Taylor Trimble (Episcopal Academy) added two goals for Duke.

The game went back-and-forth with Duke never getting ahead by more than one goal, while Princeton inched ahead by two on two occasions.

Sophomore Erin Slifer came up big with a goal at 2:50 in the second half to tie the game at 9-9. She finished the game as the leading scorer with two goals and two assists.

With 10 seconds left Duke was rewarded a free-position attempt and coming up even bigger was goaltender Caroline Franke. Franke thwarted the shot by Erin Tenneson and time expired.

Princeton won the opening draw in overtime and held for the last shot. Senior Sam Ellis (Radnor) was called for a charge while taking that shot and time slipped away before Duke could clear. The Tigers couldn’t catch a break as Liz Cutting was given a yellow card, putting Princeton down a player for two of the first three minutes as the teams changed ends. This time it was Duke that held the ball and waited until there was three seconds left before Maddy Morrissey shot wide and the buzzer sounded.

Princeton was called for over-the-back on the opening draw of the second overtime giving Duke the ball and Acton made quick work firing in the goal.

Duke scored the opening goal but 21 seconds later senior Charlotte Davis scored the equalizer. It went back-and-forth this way for the first 15 minutes with Princeton getting goals from Sarah Lloyd and Slifer, while Acton and Kerrin Maurer scored for the Blue Devils.

A three-goal Princeton run sparked by a free-position goal by Davis at 14:58 gave the Tigers the lead. Davis scored on the Tigers’ first free-position attempt of the game, and sophomore Erin McMunn found senior Jaci Gassaway for the go-ahead goal. McMunn whipped in a shot at 8:26 that gave Princeton the 6-4 lead.

The teams traded goals to finish out the half as Princeton took a 7-5 edge into the locker room. Princeton’s goal by McMunn was hands down the best-looking goal of the night as she had a quick catch-and-release on a feed from Slifer.

Duke erased Princeton’s lead by opening up the second half on a three-goal run. Princeton was forced to call a timeout as it trailed 8-2 in shots midway through the second half.

Freshman Alexandra Bruno scored from Gassaway at 12:37 before Sydney Peterson put away a Maurer pass at 8:08.

With 6:45 left in the second half Duke got possession and held the ball for two minutes before calling a timeout to draw something up. The Blue Devils passed the ball around the offensive end before senior Caroline Rehfuss was able to force a turnover in the corner. This possession led to Slifer’s goal with 2:50 remaining.

Duke finished the game with a 25-20 edge in shots thanks to a 10-6 differential in the second half. Princeton had a 14-13 edge in shots in the first half. Duke had five more ground balls, 16-11, while both teams had four caused turnovers.

On top of Slifer’s four-point effort was two goals and an assist from McMunn. Davis scored twice and Gassaway had a goal and an assist. Franke made four saves in goal.

Duke’s offense was led by Maurer, who had three assists and one goal. Morrissey chipped in two goals and one assist, while Trimble and Acton each scored twice. Kelsey Duryea had six saves in goal for the Blue Devils, who will face Navy in the second round on Sunday.



Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines