Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 11/26/12
Maryland men’s lacrosse coach John Tillman will be the primary guest speaker on Tuesday, Dec. 4 when the Duke’s Lacrosse Club hosts its annual College Recruiting Night at Harriton High from 7:30-9:30 p.m.
The event is open to the entire lacrosse community, with no admission.
This event is especially for new and young players and their families, in hopes of giving them a foundation going forward in the ever-changing recruiting process. It also is meant for players already being recruited.
A secondary speaker include Dukes assistant coach Mike Mackrides, who will speak on dealing with college coaches and the recruiting process; and Dukes webmaster Chris Spahr, on the website and links to NCAA regulations. Others speaking will be Dukes seniors Matt Rambo (La Salle) and Tim Langerhans (Conestoga), junior Tanner Peck (Avon Grove), sophomore Grant Ament (Haverford School), and freshman Forry Smith (Haverford School).
The event also will feature:
- Q & A with individual Speakers and Guests.
General topics to be covered by all are:
- Type of Athlete/Student.
- Grades, SATS, PSATS, Testing et al.
- Website links and NCAA Rules.
- Do’s and Don’t of college recruiting.
- Creating a College Contact Binder and getting started.
- Creating Cover letter with Accompanying Athletic Accomplishments Resume and Scholastic Accomplishments Resume.
- Picking a College with a review for Location, Cost, Major/Academics, Lacrosse Level, Campus Size and Social, Lacrosse Coach, Team, Player and Scheme of Play review – all to determine fit for Student/player.
- Contacting Colleges & College Coaches. Primary Contact and Important Timelines/Dates in Recruiting and Admissions.
- Transcripts, Aid/Scholarship Forms and Filing.
- Contact calls and Visits.
- Unofficial and Official Visits.
- Commitment to College.