Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 8/14/23 – From Staff Report
Dan Keating has stepped down as the first men’s lacrosse coach at Holy Family University to take the position as head coach at New Jersey power Don Bosco Prep.
Holy Family is entering its first season as a Division II varsity program. Keating began as head coach in September of 2022, shortly after the school announced it was starting a men’s program.
Don Bosco Prep was 15-5 in 2023, bowing to Delbarton in the Non-Pubic A semifinals. Don Bosco was state champion and Tournament of Champion winner as recently as 2021.
Keating served as head coach at St. Joseph’s Prep for the second time (2021-22) and led the program to a 27-10 record. Before then, he was an assistant at Stockton for a year and served as associate head coach and offensive and recruiting coordinator at Saint Joseph’s University for seven seasons.
Keating’s first stint at St. Joseph’s Prep came from 2006-08, when he led the program to a 61-22 record. He moved on to Malvern Prep for two seasons, the second of which was as head coach. Keating began his collegiate coaching career as an assistant coach at Lehigh University.
Holy Family Head Men’s Lacrosse Coach/Athletic Operations Coordinator
The Head Men’s Lacrosse Coach/Athletic Operation Coordinator is responsible for coaching, directing and executing all aspects of an NCAA Division II program, and operating the program with integrity and in a welcoming manner that complies with NCAA, Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference, Athletics Department and University rules and regulations. The Head Coach will cooperate and work harmoniously within the athletics department, and the campus community, as appropriate, in carrying out the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program.
The Head Coach will also assist with daily operations of the athletics department including but not limited to operations and compliance. Additionally, will assist as site supervisor for various sporting events, and participate in Student Life programming, as scheduled.
Employees must understand the mission of Catholic Higher education and be committed to the core values, mission, goals, and objectives of Holy Family University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the effective teaching and instruction of all specific technical skill areas to student-athletes.
- This position teaches and instructs student-athletes in the sport and uses the coach’s background and experience to decide instruction, which is most beneficial to the student-athlete and team.
- Develop team and individual strategies to have the greatest chance of winning within the sport, through on-court/field teaching and video instruction.
- Design instructional programs for the team and individual student athletes and instruct student-athletes on how to implement a game plan as determined for each competition
- Responsible for administering all aspects of the lacrosse program including but not limited to: quality coaching and instruction; compliance; recruiting; promoting/fundraising; team travel arrangements; maintaining equipment; community service initiatives; supervising assistants; monitoring academic progress of student-athletes; and fulfilling other such duties as they arise or as assigned.
- Required to be thoroughly familiar with and comply with all University, Department, NCAA, and CACC policies, rules and regulations, and disseminate such information to assistant coaches and student-athletes, as appropriate.
- Collaborate with and provide all necessary information to the Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance and ensure all NCAA and CACC rules and regulations are adhered to. This includes annual and on time completion of the NCAA Recruiting certification test.
- Model good sportsmanship behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards student-athletes, fans, parents, officials, spectators and community.
- Serve as ambassador at University events and Open Houses.
- Foster a healthy environment for student-athletes while promoting sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- Responsible for assisting in the preparation of, and adhering to, deadlines and specific dates for the timely completion of all forms and related materials.
- Effectively manage and strictly adhere to travel, recruiting, scholarship and departmental budgets. Obtain approval from the Athletic Director, in advance of any variance.
- Collaborate with Strength & Conditioning Coach/Athletic Training Staff to ensure the physical health, safety and well-being of student-athletes.
- Provide on-site supervision during all team activities.
- Assist with site supervision and preparation of athletic programs, special events and home contests, for other sports, as scheduled.
- Assist, plan, moderate and supervise outside vendors and events in collaboration with the Assistant Director of Athletics for Daily Operations.
- Coordinate, track and distribute apparel/equipment orders for the Department of Athletics
- Responsible for developing and executing community service and fundraising initiatives/events for the team and Department of Athletics.
- Assist with daily operations of the athletics department including but not limited to operations and compliance
- Abide by all Department of Athletics and University policies
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of two years of college level coaching and recruiting experience preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and ability to follow university policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the campus community.
- Proficient with computer software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- NCAA sport rules and regulations
- Game day management and best practices
- Must have sound independent judgment and ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse population.
- Excellent attention to detail, problem solving, analytical, communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Understanding of organizational processes and strong follow-up skills.
- Must demonstrate good time management and project management skills.
Maintain certification in CPR, AED and First Aid, as well as pass the NCAA Division II coaches certification test prior to the date stipulated by Athletic Director or designee. Valid driver’s license and motor vehicle record in good standing, and be capable of driving a 15-passenger van as needed/required
Qualified candidates must email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Review of cover letter, resume and portfolio will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.