Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 2/25/21
From Press Releases
The Drexel University women’s lacrosse team (2-0) picked up its second-straight road win to begin 2021 with a 13-12 overtime victory over St. Joseph’s Wednesday afternoon in Philadelphia.
- Even at 2-2, Drexel fell behind after a five-goal run made it 7-2 in favor of the Hawks in the first half. The margin held at halftime with SJU in front, 9-4. Lucy Schneidereith tallied three of the Dragons’ four first-half goals.
- Drexel flipped the script in the second half, outscoring Saint Joseph’s 8-3 over the final 30 minutes to force the game into overtime. Karson Harris scored all five of her goals in the second half for the Dragons. DU recorded six of the final seven goals to even the contest at 12-12 with 2:02 remaining in regulation.
- Colleen Grady delivered the game-winning goal 38 seconds into the second three-minute overtime period.
- Grady recorded three goals, including the game winner, and three assists to tie for a team-high six points. Grady also had one caused turnover and a ground ball. She eclipsed 150 points for her career and now has 91 goals, 64 assists and 155 points in her collegiate career.
- Karson Harris finished with six points behind five goals and one assist. Harris also notched team bests of six draw controls, six ground balls and one caused turnover. She now sits at 99 career goals, 136 career points and 189 career draw controls. Her next goal would make her the 12th Dragon with triple-digit goals.
- Lucy Schneidereith scored five goals in the victory.
- Hayleigh Simpson and Jamie Schneidereith each totaled three ground balls.
- Arden Edgerton, Belle McHugh (Notre Dame) and Rachel Warden (Garnet Valley) each caused a Hawk turnover.
- Goalie Zoe Bennett (W, 2-0) made 16 saves in the win with a .571 save percentage.
- Saint Joseph’s Lauren Figura (Lenape-NJ), Stephanie Kelly, and Sam McGee (Abington) all netted two goals, while Kelly added two assists and Figura and McGee tallied one each.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Drexel was successful on 17-of-19 clear attempts.
- The Dragons scored 13 goals on 25 shots on target.
Delaware 20, DelState 3
Delaware women’s lacrosse cruised to a win over Delaware State inside Delaware Stadium.
Juniors Danika Swech (Owen R. Roberts) and Kendra Schweizer (St. Mark’s-DE) each tallied hat tricks, while senior attack Kate Bradford recorded a game-high five assists. Eleven different Blue Hens scored in the win, including seven who notched their first collegiate goals.
Delaware improved to 1-1 on the season, while the Hornets dropped to 0-1 after their season opener.
The Blue Hens controlled the game from the opening draw, scoring the first five goals of the contest. Swech, who also scored a hat trick in the season opener against Temple, opened the scoring by putting away a feed from Bradford.
Virginia Tech 18, Longwood 3
Caroline Allen (Notre dame Academy) had two goals and an assist and three groundballs for Virginia Tech.
Tags: Delaware, Drexel, St. Joseph's University