Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/27/21 – From Press Release
Duke University men’s lacrosse standout Michael Sowers Upper Dublin) was selected No. 2 in the 2021 Premier Lacrosse League College Draft presented by Champion announced on NBC Sports on Monday night.
Sowers was taken No. 2 overall by Waterdogs.
Overall, Sowers is the fourth Blue Devil to be take No. 2 in a professional outdoor lacrosse draft – Kevin Cassese (2003), Matt Danowski (2008) and Jordan Wolf (2014) were the second picks in the MLL draft those seasons. Giles-Harris joins Zack Greer (2009), Michael Manley (2012) and Will Haus (2014) as No. 3 picks. Manley and Haus are current members of Chrome. Ned Crotty and Myles Jones are the lone two Blue Devils to be the top picks in the MLL drafts, achieving that feat in 2010 and 2016, respectively.
A three-time All-American at Princeton, Sowers joined the Blue Devils as a graduate student transfer this season. He was the overall favorite to win the Tewaaraton Award before for the 2020 campaign was canceled and is considered one of the best attackman in the country.
He currently leads Duke’s offense with 29 goals and a team-best 31 assists for 60 points. He has scored a point in all 60 career games – 47 of which he played at Princeton – and has been held to just a single point twice in his career.
A two-time ACC Offensive Player of the Week this season, Sowers has scored at least three points in 11 of the 13 games for the Blue Devils and notched a season-best eight versus Air Force. He currently ranks fourth in NCAA history in points per game average (6.03/gm). He has played in 60 games and has 362 points from 150 goals and 212 assists, ranking fourth in NCAA history in points and fourth in assists.
1. Atlas: Jeff Teat, Cornell
2. Waterdogs: Michael Sowers, Duke
3. Chrome: JT Giles-Harris, Duke
4. Redwoods: TD Ierlan, Denver
5. Archers: Jared Conners, Virginia
6. Chaos: Mac O’Keefe, Penn State
7. Whipsnakes: Connor Kirst, Rutgers
8. Atlas: Dox Aitken (Haverford School), Virginia
9. Cannons: Jack Kielty, Notre Dame
10. Atlas: Jake Carraway, Georgetown
11. Atlas: Danny Logan, Denver
12. Chrome: Ryan Terefenko (Wilson), Ohio State
13. Archers: Tre Leclaire, Ohio State
14. Chaos: Kyle Gallagher, Notre Dame
15. Chaos: Tanner Cook, North Carolina
16. Whipsnakes: Ryan Tierney, Hofstra
17. Atlas: Peter Dearth, Syracuse
Trade: Waterdogs trade 18th pick to Archers for Eli Gobrecht
18. Archers: Jeff Trainor, UMass
19. Chaos: Jared Bernhardt, Maryland
20. Chrome: Justin Anderson, North Carolina
21. Archers: Conor Gaffney (Lenape), Lehigh
22. Chaos: Kyle Thornton, Notre Dame
23. Whipsnakes: Colin Squires, Denver
24. Redwoods: Charlie Bertrand, Virginia
25. Cannons: Stephen Rehfuss, Syracuse
26. Atlas: Gerard Arceri, Penn State
27. Waterdogs: Ethan Walker, Denver
28. Chrome: Jackson Morrill, Denver
29. Redwoods: Jamie Trimboli, Syracuse
30. Chaos: Ryan Smith, Robert Morris
31. Whipsnakes: Nick Grill, Maryland
32. Redwoods: Charles Leonard, Notre Dame