(This is one of a regular-day series of boys’/men’s and girls’/women’s stories looking back on this date in history)
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 3/25/20
3/25/08 – Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Rankings: Springfield-Delco is at top of first girls’ poll
1. Springfield-Delco (0-0) – The Cougars have lost a slew of standouts from a squad that went 21-0 and breezed to a second straight Class AA crown, but coach Keith Broome has several Division I signees – midfielders Aly Adams (Penn State) and Samantha Tajarian (Richmond) and attacker Rebecca Hartrum (Old Dominion) – so expect them to be ready for Thursday’s opener at Penn Charter.
2. Bayard Rustin (0-0) – Led by Penn signee Allison Tatios (midfield), Rustin opens with a key showdown tonight at West Chester East.
3. Ridley (1-0) – The Green Raiders, last year’s Class AAA runner-up, started strong by whipping Henderson, 15-4, as Maryann Miller had four goals and three assists and goalie Danielle Abbruzzese stopped 10 shots. They play at Abington Saturday.
4. Great Valley (0-0) – The Patriots enter the Ches-Mont League with lots of experience, led by All-American midfielder Kim Wenger and goalie Steph Berger. They open Wednesday against visiting Haverford.
5. Strath Haven (0-0) – The Panthers lost seven starters from a team that lost to Springfield in the AA final, but return junior midfielder Emily Garrity – who had 100 goals last year, has 182 in two seasons and is ranked 23rd in the Sports Illustrated TAKKLE Top 100. They open today at Avon Grove.
3/25/09 – Girls’ wrap: Merion Mercy tops Villa Maria; Garrity scores 300th goal; Whippets, Bears tie, 16-16
Emily Corcoran, Kimmy Keating and Margaret Corzel each scored four goals as host Merion Mercy defeated Villa Maria Academy, 15-13, Tuesday in an early-season battle of titans in the Athletic Association of Catholic Academies.
Merion Mercy (2-0, 1-0) got strong defense from Sarah Hospodar, Emily Corzel, and Molly Mullen. Freshman goalie Caili Guilday recorded eight saves.
Chelsea Fay scored four goals for defending champion Villa Maria (1-1, 0-1).
Strath Haven 14, Downingtown East 10
Emily Garrity scored her 300th career goal and finished with six goals and five assists as Strath Haven (ranked No. 2 in PA Media Rankings) held off the Cougars (ranked 10th).
Kelly Ruffini had three goals for the Panthers while Annalise Penikis and Ana White each added two. Molly DiEnno also scored. Lela Meunier (seven saves) and Olivia Kerrigan (five saves) split the duties in goal.
3/25/10 – Women’s roundup: Penn dumps Johns Hopkins; Widener edges Eastern, 13-12
Maddie Poplawski (Springfield-Delco), Erin Brennan, Giulia Giordano, Ali DeLuca and Bridget Waclawic scored two goals each as host Penn toppled Johns Hopkins, 11-7, Wednesday in non-league women’s lacrosse. Emily Szelest made 11 saves for No. 5 Penn (7-1).
James Madison 10, Virginia 9
Mary Kate Lomady (Abington) scored twice as visiting JMU (7-1) stunned No. 5 Virginia (6-3).
3/25/11 – Friday’s Philly girls’ high school lacrosse summaries
Central Bucks West 6, Council Rock South 5
Jess Circuit 1G, 1A
Elena Rosenburg 4G
Jane Savard 1G, 1A
Council Rock South:
Jamie Damirgian 2G
Christine Besselman 3G
Maria Pollina (CBW) 9 saves
Taylor Hurwitz (CRS) 10 saves
3/25/15 – STEPS Philadelphia girls’ HS roundup: Methacton snaps Boyertown’s 152-game PAC-10 win streak in OT
Deb Peifer scored with 1:32 left in overtime off a feed from Sara Hughes to give visiting Methacton a stunning 7-6 win over Boyertown Tuesday, snapping the Bears’ incredible 152-game win streak in pioneer Athletic Conference games.
The 11-time defending champion Bears held a 6-5 lead before Sara Hughes (two goals, three assists) tied it with 31 seconds in regulation. It took only 1:32 for Peifer (two goals, one assist) to get the game-winner. Sam Rothman made 11 saves in goal for Methacton.
Kristi Gilbert and Sydney Fox each scored twice for the Bears.