follow us on...

Men’s playoffs: @NovaLacrosse, @DelawareMLax fall

Friday, 4th May 2018

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 5/4/18
From Press Releases

The second-seeded Georgetown University team defeated third seed host Villanova, 13-10, on Thursday night to advance to the 2018 BIG EAST Men’s Lacrosse Championship. The No. 17/18 Hoyas earned their 11th win of the season, the most since 2007, with their second win of the year over the No. 12/14 Wildcats.

John Kluh takes a shot on goal for Villanova in its loss to Georgetown Thursday night (Photo by Tim Flatley)

Georgetown advances to face top-seeded Denver in the championship game on Saturday at 2 p.m. The Pioneers defeated Marquette, 10-7, in the other semifinal to advance.

Craig Berge led Georgetown (11-4) with four goals and an assist while Lucas Wittenberg added a goal and three assists and Robert Clark had two goals and an assist. In all, nine different Hoyas scored goals in the game.

Behrens and Carraway also tallied assists for the Blue & Gray.

In goal, Nick Marrocco posted his second double-digit save performance against Villanova this season. He stopped 12 Wildcat shots on the day and shut VU out in the third quarter.

Peter Tagliaferri was dominant at the `X’, winning 19-of-24 (.791) faceoffs on the day. He posted clean sheets in both the first and third quarters and led all players with 10 ground balls.

Four different Hoyas scored goals in the opening quarter as the Blue & Gray went on a 4-0 run following Villanova’s opening score. Carraway kicked off the scoring, curling around the crease from behind the cage to beat the Wildcat keeper far post and knot the score at 1-1. Another potential goal by Carraway was called off for diving in the crease, but VU was penalized on the play, which led to a man-up goal from Morrill courtesy of Clark. Berge made it a 3-1 game by firing home a long range shot off of a cross-field pass from Behrens and Hursey closed out the scoring with a fake-pass juke to beat his defender and score with a high bounce shot with five seconds remaining. Tagliaferri won all six faceoffs in the frame.

Villanova (10-5) struck first in the second frame, scoring 2:29 into the quarter to cut GU’s lead to 4-2. The Hoyas answered almost immediately, as Clark collected a pass from Berge while backpedaling in front of the goal before finding the back of the cage. Both squads would trade goals once again in the frame, including a Behrens goal assisted from Wittenberg, to give the Blue & Gray a 6-3 lead but the Wildcats scored back-to-back goals just 32 seconds apart to pull within one, down 6-5 with 5:24 remaining in the half. Galligan, Georgetown’s seventh different goal scorer in as many goals, fired home a shot in transition to give GU another two-point lead with 3:03 remaining, but the Wildcats managed a goal with 1.4 seconds left in the half to cut the Hoya lead to 7-6 at the break.

Defense reigned supreme in the third quarter as only two goals total were scored, both by Georgetown. McDonald and Wittenberg became the eighth and ninth Hoyas to score in the game, respectively, to give the Blue & Gray a 9-6 lead. Marrocco shut out the Wildcats with four saves in the period, Tagliaferri posted another perfect stanza at the `X’ and the Hoyas killed their only penalty of the game to that point.

In the fourth, back-to-back goals from Berge at the 7:16 and 5:24 marks gave the Hoyas an 11-7 lead but Villanova wasn’t going down without a fight. The Wildcats stormed back, scoring three goals in 55 seconds to pull within one at 11-10. Georgetown clamped down from there, posting consecutive goals and winning both faceoffs to seal the 13-10 victory.

Christian Cuccinello led Villanova with three goals. Michael Toomey collected 10 saves in goal in the loss.

Towson 9, Delaware 8, OT

They were picked last in the CAA Preseason Poll.

They were told they weren’t going to win a CAA game.

All year long, the Blue Hens of the University of Delaware Blue hens silenced the doubters and that didn’t change on Thursday night in the CAA Semifinals. Down four goals in the fourth quarter, the Blue Hens mounted an epic comeback that sent the game into overtime, but eventually dropped a 9-8 heartbreaker to defending league champion Towson.

“I’m honored to the coach of these young men. I’ve never been around a group like these guys. They battled and competed all year long and that’s exactly what they did again tonight,” head coach Ben DeLuca said.

Offensively, senior Will Hirschmann led the way with four points (two goals, two assists), while junior Joe Eisele (St. Augustine Prep) tallied his fourth hat trick of the season. Sophomore Charlie Kitchen (St. Augustine Prep) made it 17 consecutive games with a goal with two on the night to finish with 37 on the season, the most since Curtis Dickson in 2009.

Defensively, the Blue Hens were led once again by sophomore Matt DeLuca, who had 14 saves on the evening. Junior Austin Haynes was outstanding, stepping into the X in the second half and finishing with two faceoff wins, four caused turnovers and six groundballs.

“We are forever indebted to this group of seniors for their leadership this season. I’m excited for the future of Delaware lacrosse,” Ben DeLuca added.

The first half was a defensive battle with Hirschman, Dean DiSimone (St. Augustine Prep) and Eisele all finding the back of the net, but it was DeLuca’s eight first-half saves that kept the Blue Hens within striking distance at 4-3 at halftime.

Towson would pull momentum to their side with three more goals in the third and another in the fourth after Kitchen scored a man-up goal as the Tigers held an 8-4 advantage with under nine minutes remaining.

That’s when the Blue Hens went to work with Eisele scoring a man-up goal and Kitchen making a huge play on a Towson turnover and firing home his second goal of the day to make it 8-6 with under five minutes left to play.

Hirschmann found Eisele with 3:49 on the clock for his hat trick and to make it a one-goal game.

Once again, the captain, Hirschmann, stepped up taking a pass from DiSimone and sending a rocket into the back of the net to tie the game at 8-8 with 2:28 remaining.

Delaware would gain possession with under a minute to play, but was unable to find the back of the net as the game headed to overtime.

Tags: ,


Latest Headlines