follow us on...

Malvern Prep grads Goldner, McGeary lead @PennMensLax past Harvard

Sunday, 15th April 2018

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 4/15/18
From Press Release

With its Ivy League Tournament life on the line on Saturday, the University of Pennsylvania men’s lacrosse team came out to Franklin Field for its game with Harvard and … gave up the game’s first three goals.

While it may not have been the start head coach Mike Murphy wanted to see from his team, given it was Alumni Day—including a halftime celebration of Penn’s 1988 NCAA semifinal team—and also Senior Day at Franklin Field. That said, he had to be happy with the response.

Harvard’s third goal came with 2:27 left in the first quarter. The next time the Crimson scored, there was just one second left in the third quarter. In between, Penn scored seven times. And while Harvard got back to within 7-6 in the fourth, Penn was able to scored four of the game’s final five goals over the last six minutes to emerge with an 11-7 victory.

Penn’s win snapped a three-game Ivy League losing streak, and the Quakers are now 2-3 in Ivy League play with a road trip to Dartmouth remaining on the conference slate. Penn is 6-6 overall. Harvard fell to 7-4 overall, 2-2 in Ivy play.

Adam Goldner (Malvern Prep) had three goals and an assist to lead the Quakers attack, while Kevin McGeary (Malvern Prep) had two goals and two assists. Tyler Dunn also scored twice. Simon Mathias finished with a goal and two assists, extending his goal-scoring streak to 17 games—tied for the second-longest active streak in the nation—and his point-scoring streak to an even 40 contests.

The hero, though, was undisputably Richie Lenskold. After Penn lost three of the five face-offs in the first quarter, the junior took over as the Quakers won 12-of-16 face-offs the rest of the way.

Morgan Cheek (3g, 1a), an All-Ivy attackman last year, had a goal and an assist as Harvard got the 3-0 lead over the first 13 minutes of the game. However, just 33 seconds after he fed sophomore Kyle Anderson (Malvern Prep, has 32 goals this year after not playing as a freshman) for the Crimson’s third goal, Penn got itself on the scoreboard as Goldner finished a Mathias feed. Penn drew level in the second quarter, Tyler Dunn scoring the second goal midway through the period and then Mike Lamon notching his first collegiate tally after some great ball movement on an extra-man situation with 5:54 left before half. The teams went into the locker room knotted up at 3-3.

McGeary took over in the third. With the alumni tent starting to swell, the senior scored twice in the first four minutes to push Penn ahead, 5-3, and then he fed Reilly Hupfeldt (Haverford School) for a rocket that made the score 6-3. Four minutes later, Joe Licciardi used some quick footwork to get free and finish an unassisted goal.

Harvard was given life right at the end of the period, however, as the Crimson successfully cleared and Anderson scored with just one second left. Cheek then scored a pair of unassisted goals in the first four minutes of the fourth—the second one when he picked up his own rebound and fired it home while prone on the ground—which made the score 7-6.

Nearly six minutes went by without a goal, before Dunn finished a feed from Roesner out of a timeout. Just 15 seconds later, a face-off win led to Mathias scoring unassisted, and that created some room. Harvard got one of those two goals back, but the Crimson were forced to chase the Quakers and Penn made them pay with two late tallies.

Connor Keating (Haverford School) had one assist, one groundball and one caused turnover.

Both goalies had stellar days. Reed Junkin had 13 saves and a .650 save percentage on the day, while Harvard’s Robert Shaw had 15 stops.

Tags: , , , ,


Latest Headlines