follow us on...

South Jersey products Streilein, McMenamin brothers, Gray lead Wagner past Dartmouth

Sunday, 6th March 2016

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 3/6/16
From Press Release

Sophomore attackman Andrew Streilein (Lenape, NJ) buried a man-up goal with 21 seconds left to play off an assist from redshirt-junior midfielder William McMenamin (St. Augustine Prep) to lift the Wagner men’s lacrosse team to a gutsy 7-6 come-from-behind victory at Dartmouth this afternoon.

The win improves the Seahawks’ season record to 2-3 while the Big Green of the Ivy League fall to 0-4.

It took almost 12 minutes and a combined 15 shots before the first goal of the game was scored. With 3:47 left in the first, senior midfielder Paul DeVita netted an unassisted tally that proved to be the only marker of the quarter. A minute and a half later, Osborne had Dartmouth’s best chance at a goal when his shot hit the crossbar.

The Green outscored the Seahawks 3-1 in the second, with all three scores coming from Wiley Osborne. His first two goals early in the quarter were scored just eight seconds apart. With 5:30 remaining in the opening half, redshirt-junior midfielder Patrick McMenamin (St. Augustine Prep) tied it at 2-2 off a Streilein feed before Osborne gave Dartmouth the go-ahead goal just 19 seconds later as Dartmouth took a 3-2 halftime lead.

After Dartmouth went ahead 4-2 on a Jack Korzelius goal, sophomore defenseman Austin Wilson sank his first career goal at the 12:38 mark of the third off another helper from Patrick McMenamin to make it a 4-3 game. Osborne then scored at 11:11 for Dartmouth to make it 5-3 before Wagner answered with a goal by Patrick McMenamin, an unassisted tally with 7:12 left.

That’s the way the score remained until the 0:57 mark of the third when freshman attackman Kevin Gray (Seneca, NJ) sank his first career goal off of Streilein’s team-leading eighth assist to knot the score at 5-5. With just six seconds remaining in the quarter, Evan Key notched a goal to give the home team a 6-5 edge heading into the fourth.

The final quarter was a tense, defensive struggle as neither team allowed much in the way of shots. The first goal of the quarter occurred with 2:36 left, a tally by sophomore attackman Billy Martin (Huntington, NY/Huntington) that tied the score at 6-6.

This score set up Streilein’s late-game heroics as his man-up goal with just 21 ticks left, gave the Seahawks their first lead since the opening quarter and Wagner held on from there.

Streiliein paced the Seahawks with four points (1g, 3a), Patrick McMenamin had three (2g, 1a), while Wilson (1g), DeVita (1g), and William McMenamin (1g) added one point each. Freshman goalie Matt Sefcik played all 60 minutes and had 12 saves.

Osborne led Dartmouth with four goals and while four other players ended the day with a point apiece. Blair Friedensohn hasd eight saves for the Green.

The Seahawks outshot Dartmouth, 37-31, while the Green went 12-for-17 at the X.

Tags: ,


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines