follow us on...

.@UDMensLacrosse edges Mount St. Mary’s, 11-10, behind Holland, Anton, Olbrich (Moorestown)

Tuesday, 24th February 2015

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 2/24/15
From Press Release

Senior Tom Holland recorded his second hat trick of the season with a team-high three goals, senior goalkeeper Brett Anton turned back 10 shots, and redshirt freshman Matt Olbrich (Moorestown) dominated on faceoffs as the visiting University of Delaware men’s lacrosse squad returned to winning ways with an 11-10 victory over Mt. St. Mary’s Tuesday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium.

In a game that was originally scheduled for Friday, Feb. 20 but postponed due to snow and freezing temperatures, the Hens built a five-goal second-half lead and held off a spirited comeback attempt to post the victory.

Delaware (2-2), which endured a nine-day layoff from competition, also got two goals from sophomore Trup Ortlieb while senior Brian Kormondy and Zach Runberg each scored a goal and dished out two assists. Anton, starting his second straight game, recorded 10 saves while Olbrich won 15 of 24 faceoff attempts.

“We were excited to hang tough at the end to come out with the win,” said Delaware head coach Bob Shillinglaw, who picked up his 295th career victory at Delaware. “We just need to cut down on our turnovers so we can improve our chances for future wins. We are looking forward to getting back to practice and facing Villanova Saturday.”

Mt. St. Mary’s (1-1), which opened its season with an 11-8 win over VMI back on Feb. 14, got four goals from Spencer Smith while Bubba Johnson (Caesar Rodney, DE) tallied two goals and two assists and Ryan Lamon scored twice.

For the Hens, Paul Major (Spring-Ford) had a goal and a groundball and Jared Horsosky (Malvern Prep) had an assist and a groundball on defense while Jeff Heath (St. Joseph’s Prep) had a groundball and a caused turnover.

Delaware was efficient in the victory as the Hens had just 21 total shots but scored on 11 of them, including 6 of 10 in the second half. The Hens also overcame 15 turnovers but did so by holding the Mount scoreless on all five man-up opportunities.

Mt. St. Mary’s jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the opening 10 minutes but the Hens battled back and scored the last five goals of the half to take a 5-4 lead into intermission. Delaware then took control by scoring five of the first six goals of the second half to go up 10-5.

Two goals by Smith cut the lead to 10-7, but Delaware’s Runberg scored what proved to be the game-winner when he tallied a man-up goal just seven seconds into the final stanza to build the UD lead to 11-7.

The Mount scored the final three goals of the game – the last with 5:17 left to play – but the Hens held on for the victory.

Tags: ,


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines