follow us on...

NCAA men’s D1 quarterfinals: @DrexelDragons bow to Denver, 15-6; best season ever ends

Sunday, 18th May 2014

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 5/18/14
From Press Release
and Staff Report by David A Willauer

The Drexel men’s lacrosse team saw its season come to an end on Sunday afternoon in the NCAA quarterfinals as fifth-seeded Denver shut down the Dragons and used a 10-0 run to dash any hopes of a Drexel upset, winning 15-6 at Delaware Stadium.

Ben McIntosh scored twice, finishing his record-setting season with 48 goals and his illustrious Drexel career with exactly 100. Erik Adamson scored six times for the Pioneers to lead the way.

Drexel's Jules Raucci (Garnet Valley) scored once vs. Denver

Drexel’s Jules Raucci (Garnet Valley) scored once vs. Denver (Photo by Rene Schleicher)

The Dragons (13-5) ended a memorable season on a sour note with the loss. Drexel won its first Colonial Athletic Association tournament title and captured a win in its first-ever NCAA Tournament game, 16-11 at Penn last weekend. In addition to McIntosh’s two goals, the Dragons got two goals from Nick Trizano and three assists from Ryan Belka. McIntosh added an assist, while Jules Raucci scored once and Cole Shafer had an assist.

Denver (16-2) will go on to face top-seeded Duke in the NCAA semifinals at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore next Saturday afternoon.

“Congratulations to Denver; they are an outstanding lacrosse squad,” said Drexel Head Coach Brian Voelker. “I’m very proud of the season that our team had, but we couldn’t get into a rhythm.

“Give Denver a lot of credit for today. It was a tough loss.”

The Dragons scored the game’s first two goals, with CAA Player of the Year Ben McIntosh ripping home the game’s first goal less than a minute into the period off a feed from Ryan Belka. Two minutes later, Jules Raucci (Garnet Valley) gave the Dragons a 2-0 edge with his overhand rope to the far upper corner from the left of the Denver goalie.

The Pioneers answered with two goals to even the score, and after Drexel took a 3-2 lead with 5:35 remaining in the first quarter on Nick Trizano’s bounce shot from directly in front of the crease, Denver would shut down the Dragons’ offense, scoring 10 in a row before the Dragons finally got back on the board late in the third quarter on McIntosh’s second score.

This article will be updated



Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines