follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: @PennMensLax tips Yale, 6-5; @TigerLacrosse bows to Brown

Saturday, 29th March 2014

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 3/29/14
From Press Release

The University of Pennsylvania men’s lacrosse team put forth an outstanding defensive effort on Saturday afternoon at Yale’s Reese Stadium, and pulled out a 6-5 victory over the 11th-ranked Bulldogs.

With the win, the 18th-ranked Quakers improved to 4-3 overall, 1-2 in Ivy League play. Yale fell to 4-3, 1-2 in the Ivies.

Penn was down, 4-2, after Yale’s Brandon Mangan scored with 6:41 left in the third quarter. However, the Quakers held the Bulldogs scoreless for more than 20 minutes after that, and scored four times to gain control of the game.

Tickets for the 2014 ACC Men’s Lacrosse Championship to be held April 25-27 at PPL Park located in Chester, Pa., right outside of Philadelphia. Click here for tickets.

Both teams were on the board less than three minutes into the game, as Eric Scott put Yale up and Drew Belinsky answered. It took nearly eight minutes for anyone to score, before the Bulldogs’ Michael Keasey finished a feed from JW McGovern. Last in the first quarter, Zack Losco scored unassisted to make it 2-2

The second quarter nearly went scoreless, before Conrad Oberbeck finished a feed from Brandon Mangan with just 11 seconds left before halftime. Midway through the third quarter, Mangan finished a feed from Keasey and that made the score 4-2.

Penn clamped down on defense after that. That allowed the offense to get the Quakers back in the game.

Kevin Brown made the score 4-3 with 3:31 left in the third, finishing a feed from Chris Hupfeldt by the right post. Just 26 seconds later, the Quakers drew level when Isaac Bock scored unassisted. That closed out the scoring for the period, and the teams went into the final quarter tied, 4-4.

Bock gave Penn its first lead of the day with 9:24 left in regulation, just as a Yale penalty was ending. In a fast-break situation, a pass came across the front of the goal to Joe McCallion (Haverford School), who quickly fed Bock near the left post. Bock’s shot beat Yale goalie Eric Natale past his left side to put the Quakers up, 5-4.

Penn doubled its lead amid a scramble and a few change of possessions near midfield. The Quakers eventually came up with the ball and got it to Losco, who fed the ball across the box to Doktor who beat a defender before shooting it past Natale’s left leg.

Yale got one of the goals back with 1:16 left when Oberbeck was able to get around the right post and fire a shot past Brian Feeney’s right shoulder. Yale had another chance with the ball and the opportunity to tie the game in the final few seconds, but Oberbeck went back to the well and Feeney was equal to the chance. It was the punctuation on a strong game between the pipes by Feeney, who ended the contest with 13 saves. At the other end, Natale made 11 stops.

Penn is home for Ivy League games each of the next two Saturdays, starting next week when the Quakers host Brown on Franklin Field at 1 p.m. It will be Alumni Day for the lax programs, with the men’s alumni game taking place at 10:30 a.m. on Adams Field (Penn Park).

Brown 10, Princeton 9

The Tigers fell to Brown on a dreary, rainiy day in Providence. Princeton scored five times in three minutes late in the fourth to make it close and had two chances in the final 40 seconds but couldn’t get the equalizer.

The loss was Princeton’s second-straight one-goal league loss, after a 16-15 loss to Yale a week ago. The Tigers are now 4-4 overall and 1-2 in the league, while Brown is 6-3, 1-1.

STAT OF THE DAY – Princeton scored four goals in the first 53:38 of the game and then scored five more goals in the next 3:54. In the process, Princeton turned a 10-5 deficit into an 11-10 game with 3:28 left. Tucker Shanley started the run with a goal with 6:22 left, and Princeton got another one – by Jake Froccaro – 24 seconds later, after a Brown penalty on Shanley’s goal gave Princeton a man-advantage and the ball. Ryan Ambler (Abington) made it 10-8 with 5:24 left, making it three goals in 58 seonds. Brown answered less than a minute later to make it 11-8, but Mike MacDonald and Tom Schreiber made it 11-10 with 3:28 in the game.

THE END GAME – Princeton had four shots after it became 11-10, the first two by Froccaro and Ambler. Brown got possession and cleared, and Bear Goldstein committed a holding penalty, giving the Bears a man-advantage. Princeton killed off the penalty and regained possession when goalie Matt O’Connor (Lawrenceville School) intercepted a pass with 1:07 left. The Tigers cleared it and called timeout with 47 seconds to go. Out of the timeout, MacDonald bounced a shot through the crease and then had a last chance stopped by Brown goalie Jack Kelly with five seconds left.

Tags: ,


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines