follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: Penn handles Dartmouth, 11-2; Ivy chances alive

Saturday, 20th April 2013

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 4/20/13
From Press Release

The University of Pennsylvania men’s lacrosse team gave up the first goal on Saturday to Dartmouth, but shut the Big Green down the rest of the way en route to a decisive, 11-2 victory at Franklin Field.

With the win, the 18th-ranked Quakers finish their Ivy League season at 3-3; while the rest of the Ivy League finishes up conference play next weekend, Penn has the bye. So what did its win on Saturday do for its Ivy Tournament chances? It kept them alive.

Penn’s Ivy League Tournament hopes rest squarely on next Saturday’s Yale-Harvard game, which will face off at 2 p.m. at Harvard Stadium. If Yale wins, the Quakers are in the Tournament as the No. 3 or 4 seed (that would be determined by the outcome of the Cornell-Princeton game, also being played next Saturday); if Harvard beats the Bulldogs, however, the Quakers are out.

The two goals that Penn allowed on Saturday were the fewest allowed by the Quakers in a game since March 5, 2002 (an 11-2 win over Saint Joseph’s). The last time Penn held an Ivy League opponent to two goals? Try March 20, 1999 in a 7-2 win over Yale.

Dartmouth (3-9, 1-3) was coming off a win over Princeton last weekend, and the Big Green was more energetic in the first quarter on Saturday, outshooting Penn 9-5 and scoring the period’s only goal. That came early in a dangerous, non-releasable man-up situation, when KC Beard finished a feed from Adam Fishman. In what was a harbinger of the day, however, Penn was able to run out the rest of the two-minute non-releasable to escape further damage.

Penn (7-4 overall) did not get on the board until the second quarter, but it came just 43 seconds into the period when Ryan Parietti scored unassisted. The senior — one of eight playing his final game at Franklin Field — then gave the Quakers a lead they would not relinquish off a nice feed from Isaac Bock with 11:25 left in the half. Shortly after that, Zack Losco scored a nice unassisted goal off his own caused turnover. Penn’s lead was 3-1 at the half.

Penn put three more on the board in the third quarter as Losco, Mark Leonhard and Bock scored. In the fourth, Dartmouth ended a scoreless drought of more than 42 minutes when Penn goalkeeper Brian Feeney got a little greedy on a missed Big Green shot. The junior came well out of his cage and grabbed a ground ball, only to be caught on the sideline by three Dartmouth players. He lost the ball, the Big Green came out of the scrum with it, and Adam Fishman scored into a goal defended only by a Penn defenseman.

It was arguably the only mishap of the day for Feeney, who finished the game with 10 saves before giving way to senior captain Brendan Engelke for the final few minutes.

Penn really put this thing away in the game’s final minutes. Parietti completed his hat trick with exactly seven minutes to go off a Tim Schwalje feed, and then Bock had a beautiful backhanded finish off a Parietti feed. Schwalje got on the board himself, and then Joe McCallion (opne goal) and Parietti (off a Chris Moriarty feed) closed things out in the final two minutes.

Penn ended up outshooting Dartmouth, 40-30, and Danny Feeney had yet another solid day on the face-off X with nine wins in 15 chances.

Penn finishes up the regular season next Saturday, hosting Bellarmine University at 5:30 p.m. That game will be played at Radnor High School as part of the Katie Samson Lacrosse Festival.



Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines