follow us on...

Saturday’s Philly men’s D1 roundup: Drexel wins; Villanova, Penn State, Delaware, Lafayette fall

Saturday, 17th March 2012

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 3/17/12

Aaron Prosser scored three times and eight different players scored goals Saturday as Drexel defeated Mount St. Mary’s, 11-6. The Dragons scored three goals in the final minute of the first quarter to take a 3-0 lead and never trailed as they improved to 3-5 this season.

After a scoreless first 14 minutes of the game, the Dragons scored three goals in a span of 46 seconds to take a 3-0 lead at the end of one period. Aaron Prosser started the scoring with his 11th goal of the season. Freshman Ryan Belka was credited with the assist on the goal that came at the 51 second mark of the quarter. Exactly 40 seconds later, T.J. Foley scored the first goal of his career with just 11 seconds left. Drexel won the ensuing face off, and Deven Thomas fired home a shot with five seconds left to give the Dragons a three-goal cushion.

Mount St. Mary’s got on the board for the first time early in the second period. Mike Adkins scored an unassisted goal to make it a 3-1 game. The score remained the same for most of the quarter before Brendan Glynn (St. Joseph’s prep) scored for the Dragons with six minutes left in the half. Prosser picked up his second goal of the game off an assist by Andrew Vivian to put Drexel up by four late in the half. The Mount’s Bryant Schmidt trimmed the deficit to three with 2:12 left in the half. The teams would go to intermission with the Dragons holding on to a 5-2 lead.

It appeared as though the Dragons was on its way to an easy victory early in the third quarter. Kyle Bergman set up Prosser for the junior’s third goal of the game in the early minutes of the third and at the 11:52 mark, Vivian scored to give Drexel a five-goal lead at 7-2. That deficit was cut to three in a hurry. Brett Schmidt scored a pair of goals in just eight seconds to make it 7-4 with 10:41 remaining in the quarter. Bergman answered with an unassisted goal for the Dragons, but the Mount countered with two more goals before the end of the third frame. Daniel Stranix scored twice, including his second coming with less than two to play as Drexel held a slim 8-6 lead with 15 minutes to play.

Drexel’s Foley and Belka gave Coach Voelker’s team a little breathing room with unassisted goals in the first four minutes of the fourth quarter. It was Belka’s eighth goal of the year. Neither team had a man-up situation at that point, but when the Mount was called for a slashing penalty with just over five minutes to play, the Dragons capitalized when Church set up Ben McIntosh for his sixth goal of the season and his third man-up goal of the year.

Chris Klaiber turned aside 11 Dragon shots in goal for the Mount. Mark Manos (Salesianum School) made seven saves as the Dragons snapped a two-game losing streak. Drexel won 12 of the 21 face-offs, as freshman Nick Saputo won six of the eight that he took. The Dragons also outshot the Mount, 32-18.

Daniel Stranix (Ridley) scored twice for the Mount and Christian Kellett (Malvern Prep) had two assists.

Umass 9, Penn State 8, OT

Senior Matthew Mackrides (Malvern Prep) tied the game with 5:30 left in the fourth quarter, but the No. 14/16 Lionsfell to No. 3/4 Massachusetts in overtime at the Penn State Lacrosse Field. The Nittany Lions dropped to 3-3 overall (0-1 CAA) in their conference opener.

Mackrides, who also added an assist, netted a hat trick for the first time since a four-goal outing against Saint Joseph’s in 2011. Sophomore midfielder Tom LaCrosse scored twice against the Minutemen for the third straight game, while classmate Gavin Ahern recorded two points (1g, 1a). Senior attackman Jack Forster (La Salle), junior midfielder Nick Dolik and sophomore attackman Shane Sturgis (Downingtown east) tallied one goal each. Classmate Austin Kaut (Springfield-Delco) made 10 saves.

In a back-and-forth contest, Penn State held a 4-3 first-quarter lead before Massachusetts, which improved to 7-0 (1-0 CAA), grabbed a 5-4 halftime advantage. The Nittany Lions stormed out of the half to take a 7-5 lead after three quarters before the Minutemen took an 8-7 advantage in the fourth. Following Mackrides’ goal to even the game at 8-8, Massachusetts’ Mike Fetterly scored with 2:52 left in the sudden-death overtime frame.

The Minutemen outscored Penn State, 3-1, in the fourth as the game was tied at 8-8 after regulation. After Massachusetts third straight goal with 6:42 left in the fourth, Mackrides completed the hat trick with 5:30 remaining. In the overtime period, Mike Fetterly’s marker with 2:52 on the clock accounted for the 9-8 final.

Colin Fleming (St. Joseph’s Prep) had two assists for the Minutemen.

Maryland 12, Villanova 5

Junior Owen Blye (Downingtown East) had a career high four goals and six points and Niko Amato (La salle) made 12 saves and freshman defenseman Goran Murray (Haverford School) helped shut down the ‘Nova attack to lead the No. 8 Terps to a win over Villanova at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium.

The victory lifts the Terps to 5-1 on the season, while the Wildcats fall to 4-3.

Five players scored for Villanova, which fell behind, 7-0.

Hofstra 13, Delaware 5

John Austin scor4ed twice for the losing Blue Hens in the CAA contest.

Bucknell 17, Lafayette 6

Defenseman Jackson Place (Episcopal Academy) had four grundballs and two caused turnovers as the Bison ripped the Leopards in the Patriot League.

Brian Bock (Spring-Ford) had a goal and an an assist for Lafayette while Wil Herffernan (Haverford School) and Cory Scheuerle (St. Joseph’s Prep) each scored once.


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines