follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: Delaware tops St. Joseph’s, 16-6; Mackrides, Sturgis lead Penn State past Towson

Saturday, 14th April 2012

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 4/14/12
From Press Releases

The University of Delaware men’s lacrosse squad ran away with its second straight double-figure victory Saturday afternoon as the Blue Hens got hat tricks from John Austin, Danny Keane, and Mark Yetter and cruised to a 16-6 Colonial Athletic Association win over Saint Joseph’s at Delaware Stadium.

Grant Kaleikau added two goals and four assists, Dan Cooney won 15 of 19 faceoffs, including the 500th of his career, and also scored a goal, and Brett Anton posted 11 saves as the Blue Hens (6-7, 1-3 CAA) won their first CAA game of the season, picked up their third straight win, and remained unbeaten in 12 all-time meetings against Saint Joseph’s. The Hens also picked up their second straight double-digit win after downing Mercer 14-2 on Monday.

Kaleikau, who entered the game ranked fourth in the nation in assists with, extended his point-scoring streak to 16 straight games dating back to last season while Austin, who has now scored in six straight games, registered his second straight hat trick and the third of his career. Two of Keane’s goals were of the extra-man variety, giving him a CAA-high nine on the season.

Saint Joseph’s, which managed to score just two goals through the first three quarters, dropped its fourth straight game to fall to 3-8, 0-5 CAA. Ryan McGee led the Hawks with two goals and an assist while Kyle Williams scored a goal and dished out two helpers.

“Our guys have worked hard all year,” said Delaware head coach Bob Shillinglaw, who picked up win No. 305 of his career. “Every team has its injuries and bad breaks, but we have a great group and it’s nice to see things falling our way. We have enjoyed this recent success and we are getting more confident every day. This is just what we need heading into our final two games.”

The game drew a season-high crowd of 1,404 as the Hens hosted their annual Cancer Awareness Game. The team wore pink t-shirts that were designed by team members in warm-ups and for the game broke out their white uniforms with pink numbers and stripes for the first time.

The Blue Hens posted their second highest goal total of the season thanks to a seven-goal outburst in the third quarter in which Delaware scored three times in the first four minutes of the stanza and four times in the final 2:32 of the period. The 16 goals were the most for Delaware since a season-opening 19-6 win over Detroit back on Feb. 4.

Kaleikau fed Keane on two first quarter goals and Austin and Cooney scored goals just five seconds apart midway through the second stanza to stake the Hens to a 4-0 lead. After Saint Joseph’s got on the board on a man-up score from Kyle Mahoney with 5:40 left, Sean Finegan and Austin answered with goals to give UD a 6-1 lead at the break.

The Hens put the game away early in the second half, getting consecutive goals from Austin, Nick Diachenko, and Kaleikau over a span of three minutes to up the lead to 9-1. The Hawks ended the UD streak on a goal by Williams at the 8:52 mark, but the Hens responded by scoring five straight goals, including three by Yetter, to push the margin up to 14-2.

Saint Joseph’s scored three straight goals in a span of two minutes early in the final quarter but couldn’t put a big enough dent in the Delaware lead.

Anton, starting his second straight game in goal with Chris Herbert out with a concussion, improved to 3-0 this season as he made 11 saves. Sophomore Mike Cobb, a member of the UD club team who just joined the Blue Hen varsity this past week, played the final four minutes and recorded three saves.

Delaware will continue action next Saturday when the Hens travel to CAA foe Penn State for a 7 p.m. start.

Saint Joseph’s…….0…..1…..1…..4…..6

Scoring Summary (Goals-Assists):
Saint Joseph’s – Ryan McGee, 2-1; Kyle Williams, 1-2; Bobby Hurley, 1-0; Michael Dougherty, 1-0; Kyle Mahoney, 1-0.
Delaware – Danny Keane, 3-1; John Austin, 3-0; Mark Yetter, 3-0; Grant  Kaleikau, 2-4; Tom Holland, 1-1; Nick Diachenko, 1-0; Dan Cooney, 1-0; Sean Finegan, 1-0; Connor McRoy, 1-0; Dom Sebastiani, 0-1; Andrew Tanneberger, 0-1.

Shots: SJU – 31, D – 46; Saves: SJU – 13 (Griffin Ferrigan), D – 14 (Brett Anton, 55:46 min., 5 goals, 11 saves; Mike Cobb, 4:14 min., 1 goal, 3 saves); Groundballs: SJU – 29, D – 36; Faceoffs: SJU – 8, D – 17; Clears: SJU – 15 of 18, D – 17 of 22; Penalties: SJU – 9 for 8:30, D – 8 for 8:00; Extra Man Goals: SJU – 3 for 8, D – 4 for 8; Turnovers: SJU – 12, D – 17; Attendance: 1,404.

Penn State 8, Towson 3

Senior Matthew Mackrides (Malvern Prep) and sophomore Shane Sturgis (Downingtown East) scored three goals each as No. 16 Penn State topped Towson, 8-3, at Johnny Unitas Stadium. The Nittany Lions improved to 7-5 overall (3-1 CAA) with their third straight win, while Towson fell to 7-5 (2-2 CAA).

Mackrides’ third straight three-goal game gave him 93 career goals, tying him with former Nittany Lion Bill Hess (’58) for 10th all-time in program history. Sturgis also collected his first hat trick since netting four markers in an 11-6 win over Rutgers in 2011.

Senior attackman Jack Forster (La Salle), who matched his career high with his 35th point, extended his goal-scoring streak to eight games, and junior midfielder Drew Roper (Columbus, Ohio) notched his second marker of the season. Sophomore goalkeeper Austin Kaut (Springfield-Delco) recorded 13 saves as Penn State kept Towson scoreless for a 36:46 span that included the entire second half.

Penn State out shot Towson by a 39-28 margin and collected 38 ground balls to the Tigers’ 26. The Nittany Lions were 1-for-4 with the extra man and 20-for-23 on clears, while Towson finished 0-for-2 and 18-for-21, respectively.

Towson’s Carl Iacona gave the Tigers a 1-0 lead with 8:35 left in the first quarter, but the Nittany Lions closed the frame on a 4-0 run. Mackrides tied the game at 1-1 just 2:24 later before Sturgis connected on junior midfielder Nick Dolik’s (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) feed with 2:36 left.

Penn State then struck twice in the stanza’s final minute. Mackrides added his second tally of the game with 45 seconds remaining, and Roper gave the Nittany Lions a 4-1 advantage with just one second left on the clock.

In the second frame, Towson battled back to make it a one-goal game. Matt Lamon cut the Penn State lead in half with 7:23 remaining before tallying again just 37 seconds later to make it a 4-3 contest.

After being held scoreless in the second quarter, Penn State struck twice in the third to take a 6-3 lead. Following a loose-ball scrum, freshman midfielder Taylor Stothoff (Sparks, Md.) gathered the ground ball and fed Sturgis, who gave Penn State a 5-3 lead with 10:18 left in the frame.

With 2:22 remaining, Penn State extended its lead to 6-3 when Sturgis completed the hat trick for his second career three-goal game. Freshman attackman Pat Manley (Arnold, Md.) collected the assist on the play.

Penn State added two goals in the fourth frame as it took an 8-3 advantage. Mackrides notched his 22nd goal of the season at 2:15, and Forster scored his team-leading 24th marker with 5:35 remaining. Sturgis collected the assist on the man-up goal.

Tags: , ,


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines