follow us on...

Women’s lacrosse: Haverford College edges Swarthmore, 9-8

Sunday, 24th April 2011

Categories College, Girl's/Women's, Posted 4/24/11
From Press Releases

Josie Ferri (Pennsbury) scored three goals, including the eventual game-winner with 3:29 left, as the Haverford College women’s lacrosse team defeated Centennial Conference opponent Swarthmore College, 9-8, in come from behind fashion in the regular season finale Saturday.

The Fords (10-6, 6-3 CC) secured the fourth seed for the Centennial Conference championship tournament earlier in the week. Haverford will host Washington College in the first round Wednesday, April 27 at Swan Field. Game time is to be determined. In the first meeting on April 13, the Fords squeaked past the Shorewomen, 9-8 in Maryland.

Ferri scored Haverford’s final two goals, to cap a string of five, that helped the team overcome a 7-4 deficit with 21:22 left to play. Kayleigh Herrick-Reynolds started the climb back by scoring a free-position goal with 17:54 on the clock. After a goal by Perrin Downing, Herrick-Reynolds knotted the score at seven at the 12:55 mark. Ferri put the Fords in front, 8-7, with an unassisted goal with 4:57 left.

Swarthmore (9-7, 3-6 CC) got a late goal from Annalise Penikis (Strath Haven) to make it a one-goal affair. Haverford’s defense held strong in the final 2:34, not allowing Swarthmore to attempt a shot in the waning moments.

Ferri finished the day with five points (three goals, two assists), four caused turnovers and three ground balls. Downing and Herrick-Reynolds also recorded hat-tricks. Grace Stockbower (Upper Dublin) contributed four caused turnovers and two ground balls.

For the Garnet, Penikis and Marie Mutryn scored four goals each. Mutryn added two assists. Corinne Sommi had four caused turnovers and three ground balls.

In goal, Haverford’s Leah Hammerschlag stopped nine shots, while Swarthmore’s Michelle Ammerman made two saves. The Garnet held a 22-16 shot advantage.

Haverford scored three straight goals to take a 3-2 lead with 14:05 in the first half. After the

The Garnet came back to take a 4-3 lead, Downing tied the score with eight seconds left in the first half with a free-position goal.

Tags: ,


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines