follow us on...

PIAA girls’ quarterfinals: Springfield-Delco rallies past Archbishop Carroll, 12-11

Sunday, 6th June 2010

Categories Girl's/Women's, High School  

By Chris Goldberg, Posted 6/6/10

Shannon Burns scored five goals, including the game-winner with 55 seconds to play, to help Springfield-Delco rally past Archbishop Carroll, 12-11, Saturday in a Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) quarterfinal playoff game at Avon Grove.

The win advances the Cougars (22-2) to the semifinals Tuesday against District 3 champion Manheim Township at a neutral site and time to be determined. Manheim Township (23-0) toppled Hempfield, 18-7.

The District 12 champion Patriots had seized a 9-6 lead with the help of an 8-1 surge that began late in the first half. But Burns began the comeback with two goals within 39 seconds to make it 9-8.

Carroll regained its two-goal edge on a tally by Genni Hull with 6:54 to play, but Burns scored again and Maddy Lynch tied it, 10-10, off a feed from Alex Poplawski with 3:17 to play.

Hannah Schmitt scored her third goal off a free position to put Archbishop Carroll ahead, 11-10, with 2:18 to play. But, with her team a man down due to a yellow card, Valerie Paolucci (three goals) tied it with 1:26 remaining to set up Burns’ heroics.

The Patriots had a chance to tie it late it after gaining possession, but Janel Folkomer (nine saves) made a game-saving stop on a point-blank shot by Hull.

“Their speed was tough on us and for a while we couldn’t get the ball in the second half,” aid Springfield-Delco coach Keith Broome. “I give our kids a lot of credit to come back from three goals down.”

I was a little nervous,” added Burns, “but in games past, we’ve scored numerous goals in a matter of minutes.

“We needed the draw and we got it (at the end). Every time we set up plays, we do better, rather than (running) in transition.”

The Patriots, who fell to Springfield-Delco by the same 12-11 score back on May 13, began their comeback with 8:35 left in the first half when Schmitt fed Maddie Lesher (two goals) and then scored two consecutive goals to close the half.

Sam Moore tied the game, 5-5, early in the second half and Hull took a pass from Margo Lesher to makeit 6-5. Maddie Lesher then gave the Pats a 7-5 with 19:16 to play and Gennaro followed with another goal just over a minute later.

Paolucci stopped the 7-0 run and Gennaro made it 9-6 with 11:11 to play.

“They came out on and put pressure on us right away, and usually teams sit back on us the entire time,” said Burns.

Carroll coach Lorraine Beers said her team made several key mistakes in the final minutes, but praised both teams.

“I guess we’re two evenly matched teams,” she said. “We can’t seem the get the win, but we take them to the ropes each time.

“It was a great year, we had a lot of great seniors. We wanted this shot against this (team). We just didn’t do all the things we could have done.”

Tags: ,


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines