By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/19/10
Some of the top-rated teams squared off last week as Springfeld-Delco defeated Strath Haven, which knocked off former No. 2 Unionville. Penn Charter moved into the Top 10 for the first time after a key win over Inter-Ac League rival Episcopal Academy.
This week’s key event is the 10th Annual Katie Samson Festival Saturday at Radnor. Here is this week’s Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Rankings:
1. Radnor (8-0) – The Red Raiders won four games last week in four days; the toughest game was a 12-8 defeat of Garnet Valley. They host Upper Darby Tuesday and play at Ridley Thursday in Central League games before meeting Villa Maria Academy at Katie Samson (Prev: 1).
2. Springfield-Delco (8-0) – The Cougars survived their first major test when they defeated Strath Haven 12-10, in a key Central League game. They play at Conestoga Tuesday and host Penncrest Thursday before Saturday’s Katie Samson date with Episcopal Academy (Prev: 3).
3. Strath Haven (6-1) – The Panthers rebounded from their 12-10 loss to No. 2 Springfield by handing former No. 2 Unionville a 12-9 defeat. They play at Ridley Tuesday and host Marple Newtown Thursday before facing Merion Mercy Academy at Katie Samson (Prev: 5).
4. Unionville (7-1) – The Indians have little time to fret about their loss to Strath Haven since they host No. 7 Great Valley Tuesday in a Ches-Mont League showdown. They also face No. 6 Notre Dame Saturday in their first appearance at Katie Samson (Prev: 2).
5. North Penn (6-0) – The Maidens have survived their early-season tests against Boyertown, Ridley and Conestoga and now focus on the Suburban One Continental. They play at Souderton Tuesday and host Central Bucks West Friday after also hosting non-league Spring-Ford on Thursday. (Prev: 4).
6. Notre Dame Academy (5-0) – The Fighting Irish have a key Inter-Ac League game Tuesday at Episcopal Academy and then host another tough league foe, Germantown Academy, on Thursday before gearing for Saturday’s contest with No. 4 Unionville. (Prev: 6).
7. Great Valley (7-0) – The Patriots geared for their showdown Tuesday with Unionville with two easy wins, one that gave coach Joe Tornetta his 300th career victory. They also host Downingtown West on Thursday and play Friends’ Central at Katie Samson. (Prev: 7).
8. Archbishop Carroll (3-3) – The Patriots survived their key test by defeating their perennial Catholic League rival, Archbishop Wood, 11-10. They host Cardinal O’Hara Tuesday and play at Conwell-Egan Thursday before meeting Conestoga at Katie Samson (Prev: 8).
9. Upper Dublin (6-0) – The Cardinals continued to roll and host Upper Merion Wednesday while playing at Cheltenham Friday before meeting Springside School at Katie Samson. (Prev: 10).
10. Penn Charter (7-2) – The Quakers scored a major win by defeating Episcopal Academy Tuesday in the Inter-Ac. They play at Shipley Wednesday and Springside Friday before meeting Central League contender Harriton at Katie Samson (Prev: NR).
Teams to Watch (alphabetical order): Archbishop Wood (4-2), Bishop Shanahan (5-0), Boyertown (4-3), Conestoga (6-2), Council Rock North (4-0), Downingtown East (5-2), Downingtown West (5-3), Episcopal Academy (4-4), Harriton (5-2), Merion Mercy (6-1), Wissahickon (6-1).