By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 3/12/10
With eight Division I seniors returning, Radnor is the obvious choice as the No. 1 team in the Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Preseason Rankings.
The Red Raiders have gone 48-1 in the past two years and won the first PIAA championship last season. They will go into the season as the clear favorite to repeat as state champion. Here is the first Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Rankings for 2010:
1. Radnor (25-1 last year) – The Red Raiders have everything necessary to defend their state crown – offense, defense and a veteran coach that knows how to motivate.
2. Unionville (21-4) – The Indians finished strong – reaching the PIAA semifinals – and return a standout senior class. They are the team to beat in the Ches-Mont League.
3. Springfield-Delco (22-3) – The defending District 1 champions lost several key seniors, but should be Radnor’s top competition in the Central League.
4. Archbishop Carroll (15-6) – The Patriots emerged as the season progressed last year and went to the State quarterfinals after winning the District 12 crown. They will again be the Catholic League favorite.
5. North Penn (20-3) – The Maidens have steadily climbed the ladder in recent years. They are the favorite in the Suburban One Continental Conference.
6. Episcopal Academy (18-5) – Despite losing many key seniors, EA returns many top starters and looks to defend its Inter-Ac League title.
7. Downingtown East (12-8) – The Cougars should give Unionville a major challenge in the Ches-Mont League.
8. Strath Haven (21-5) – The Panthers will have a new look after losing their top scorers and their coach from a squad that reached the PIAA finals. They should remain in the running for a state berth.
9. Boyertown (19-4-1) – The Bears are the favorite again in the Pioneer Athletic Conference.
10. Merion Mercy (15-5) – The Bears are the early favorite to repeat as champion of the Catholic Academies. .
Teams to watch (in alphabetical order) – Abington (18-5), Archbishop Wood (17-3), Baldwin School (12-4), Bayard Rustin (18-5), Conestoga (10-7), Downingtown West (12-5-1), Great Valley (12-7), Harriton (12-7), Notre Dame (14-5), Pennridge (13-6), Upper Dublin (16-3).
Preseason Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings
Leave a Reply