follow us on...

Red Cross, HEADstrong holding blood, marrow drives

Thursday, 20th November 2008

Categories Boy's/Men's, Events, Girl's/Women's, Posted 11/20/08

The American Red Cross and the HEADstrong Foundation are holding their 2nd annual blood drive in memory of Nick “HEAD” Colleluori on Friday, Nov. 28 at the Ridley Community Center from 8 a.m.-2 p.m.

The event honors the second anniversary of the passing of the former Ridley lacrosse standout that lost his fight with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Last year over 300 people attended the drive and over 210 units of blood were collected.

Take advantage of the pre-registration option. HEADstrong Foundation in conjunction with the National Marrow Donor Program also is hosting a bone marrow drive on the same day. The goal is 100. Every day at least 6,000 patients who are in need of a life saving bone marrow transplant search the National Marrow Donor Program Registry for a donor. Only 30% of those needing a transplant will find a suitable donor within their family. The other 70% must find an unrelated donor whose tissue type matches theirs. Nick was in the 70%; he was fortunate enough to find over 200 potential donors.

Unfortunately, his disease had progressed rapidly and did not have the opportunity for the transplant. The process is simple. First, complete a registration form. Second, give a swab of your cheek so your tissue type can be tested.

After your tissue type has been tested, it’s then added to the Registry. For this year’s event the HEADstrong Foundation will need at least 15 volunteers, if you are interested in helping out, please email us at


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.