By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/7/08
Malvern Prep took over the top spot in the Phillylacrosse.com Scholastic Boys Top 10 for the first time following its impressive 16-4 victory Tuesday over Germantown Academy. The win clinched the Inter-Ac League championship for the Friars. La Salle, which fell to GA, 3-2, last week, moved to No. 2.
1. Malvern Prep (15-2) – The Friars looked like a team primed to take a shot at a state title against Germantown Academy. They shoot for a perfect 10-0 mark in the Inter-Ac Friday at Penn Charter. Last week: No. 2.
2. La Salle (23-2) – The Explorers bounced back from the 3-2 loss to GA with a 13-6 triumph over Archbishop Wood. They host a quarterfinal game Thursday in the Catholic League playoffs against Father Judge. Last week: No. 1.
3. Haverford School (13-5) – The Fords clinched second in the Inter-Ac with a 4-3 nailbiter over Episcopal Academy Tuesday, winning on a goal by Stephen Aitken with four-tenths of a second to play. They host GA in their league finale Friday. Last week: No. 3.
4. Ridley (16-2) – The Green Raiders clinched the Central League crown Tuesday night with a riveting 6-5 thriller over Strath Haven. Not bad for a team that lost its league opener to Radnor and then reeled off eight straight wins. They play at Penn Valley League contender Parkland Thursday. Last week: No. 4.
5. Germantown Academy (11-5) – The Patriots host North Penn today and close their Inter-Ac season Friday at Haverford, so they have no time to fret about Tuesday’s loss. Last week: No. 5.
6. St. Joseph’s Prep (18-3) – The Hawks breezed through their Catholic League South games unscathed and open quarterfinal play Friday against Cardinal O’Hara at a site to be determined. Last week: No. 6.
7. Penn Charter (12-7) – The Quakers dumped Chestnut Hill, 12-7 Tuesday in the Inter-Ac and play at Penncrest today before embarking on a brutal four-game stretch (Malvern Prep, Lawrenceville School, Episcopal Academy, Conestoga) to close the season. Last week: No. 7.
8. Downingtown East (10-6) – The Cougars toppled West Chester East, 12-5, in the Suburban League as Shane Sturgis and Tyler Nelson had three goals each. They play at Conestoga Thursday. Last week: No. 8.
9. Lower Merion (15-3) – The Aces downed Penncrest, 10-5, Tuesday to improve to 6-2 in the Central League as Matt Dilks tallied three goals. They host Pioneer Athletic Conference leader Owen J. Roberts on Saturday. Last week: No. 9.
10. Springfield-Delco (12-5) – The Cougars also moved to 6-2 in the Central League with an 8-4 victory Tuesday over Haverford High as Colin Keegan erupted for six goals. They host Cardinal O’Hara Thursday. Last week: unranked.
Under consideration: Conestoga, Abington, Episcopal Academy, Emmaus, Central Bucks East, Hatboro-Horsham, Garnet Valley, Strath Haven.
Leave a Reply