Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 2/11/17
From Press Release
The Monmouth University men’s lacrosse team – led by Philly grads Nick Hreshko (La Salle), Tyler Keen (Downingtown West), Zack Schleicher (Conestoga), Chris Daly (Loweer Merion), Eric Berger (Penn Charter) and Andrew Grajewski (La Salle) – outscored No. 16 Villanova 5-3 in the fourth quarter en route to a 12-10 win on Saturday afternoon at Villanova Stadium. The win gave the Hawks their first victory over a ranked opponent in program history.
Villanova jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first quarter, before Monmouth responded with four of the next five goals to tie the game at 4-4 midway through the second. At the start of the quarter, Monmouth faced a 6-on-4 man-down situation and successfully killed off the penalties before senior Daly scored the second of his two goals as part of a 3-0 MU run.
With the game tied 7-7- at the start of the fourth quarter, Monmouth took its first lead of the day when Keen completed his hat trick. The goal was the second of four consecutive goals for the visiting Hawks as they secured the lead for good. Keen’s fourth tally made it 10-7 with 6:20 to go and Monmouth held off a late Villanova rally by capitalizing on empty net goals by Schleicher and Berger.
Senior goalkeeper Hreshko held Villanova’s potent offense in check with a career-high 15 saves. Grajewski led the defense with two groundballs and a caused turnover. Justin Schwenk (Spring-Ford) won 6 of 16 face-offs vs. ‘Nova standout Luke Palmadesso (17 of 25).
Jake Froccaro led Villanova with three goals and John Kluh had two goals and three assists while Devin McNamara had two goals and one assist.
Monmouth is coached by Ridley grad Brian Fisher.
NOTES & QUOTES
– The win was Monmouth’s first victory over a ranked team in program history (1-2)
– Monmouth’s program record road-winning streak now stands at seven games
– Monmouth earned its second straight season-opening victory
– Monmouth collected its first victory over a current BIG EAST Conference opponent and its first win against Villanova
– MU improved to 2-2 all-time in season opening games and 3-1 all-time in road opening games
– Sophomore Jake Willson made his collegiate debut and scored his first goal to tie the game at 4-4 in the second quarter
– Freshman Justin Schwenk saw his first collegiate action and was 6-for-16 in faceoffs
– Senior goalkeeper Nick Hreshko made a career-best 15 saves. It was the most saves for a Monmouth goalie since Garrett Conaway totaled 15 on April 11, 2015 at Detroit.
– Senior midfielder Tyler Keen scored a career-high four goals. It marked the sixth time in Monmouth history a player scored four or more goals.
– The game was tied four times and Monmouth’s largest lead was three goals (10-7) with 6:20 remaining in the fourth quarter.
– Senior Zack Schleicher scored the first hat-trick of his career
– With an assist, sophomore Eamon Campbell extended his points streak to 12 consecutive game
– Senior attack Chris Daly extended his points streak to eight games
– Villanova outshot Monmouth 49-31, including 25-18 in shots on goal
– Villanova won 17-of-25 faceoffs in the game