By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 3/20/17
The Phillylacrosse.com Preseason Girls’ Rankings for 2017 (last year’s records in parenthesis):
1. Conestoga (24-1): The Pioneers won the Central League title and their first PIAA championship and return enough ti repeat in both.
2. Agnes Irwin (19-6): The Owls won their third straight Inter-Ac League title and are reloading after losing a strong senior class.
3. Moorestown-NJ (18-6): The Quakers look to challenge for a Group 3 state championship.
4. Garnet Valley (19-6-1): The Jaguars should challenge for Central League and Class AAA titles
5. Episcopal Academy (23-5) EA won the PA Independent Athletic Association state tourney last year and will again challenge Agnes Irwin for the Inter-Ac League title and state crown.
6. Archbishop Carroll (18-4):The Patriots are prohibitive District 12 favorites and look to challenge for state honors in Class AAA.
.7. Radnor (20-7):The Raiders won the District 1 championship and reached the PIAA finals last year. They will contend in the Central League and are the favorites in the first year of Class AA play.
8. Unionville (14-7):The Indians reached the District 1 quarterfinals and are a Ches-Mont League favorite.
9. Harriton (15-5):The Rams are always a factor in the Central League
10. Abington (16-4):The Ghosts are the class of the Suburban One Conference.
11. Shawnee-NJ (20-2): The Renegades took the South Jersey Group 4 championship last year.
12. Springfield-Delco (17-3):The Cougars placed second in the Central League with a young squad and look to challenge again.
13. Owen J. Roberts (22-5):The Wildcats won the PAC-10 title, and reached the District 1 finals and PIAA quarterfinals last year.
14. Manheim Township (16-8): The Blue Streaks are typically the top team from Central PA; after a tough post-season last year they could make their mark this season.
15. (tie) Downingtown East (15-3): The Cougars won the Ches-Mont League title and again will challenge for the crown.
15. Penn Charter (13-6): The Quakers seek to challenge in the Inter-Ac League.
Under consideration, Bishop Shanahan (18-7), Boyertown (10-8), Cape Henlopen-DE (17-1), Central Bucks West (16-7), Great Valley (14-4), Haverford High (10-10), Kennard-Dale (23-2), Merion Mercy (14-9), Mt. Lebanon (19-2), Lenape-NJ (13-6), Notre Dame (12-10), Plymouth Whitemarsh (17-3), Quaker Valley (15-5), Springside Chestnut Hill Academy (15-7).