By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 3/7/17
The Preseason 2017 Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings (2016 records in parentheses):
1. Malvern Prep (18-5): The Friars are the top challenger to Haverford School’s throne in the Inter-Ac League.
2. Haverford School (20-5): The Fords shoot for their third straight Inter-Ac League championship.
3. La Salle (21-4): The defending Catholic League champion Explorers were state finalists in 2016 and a 2017 Class AAA power.
4. Garnet Valley (16-6):The Jags were one of three teams to share the Central League title in 2016 and will be a major Class AAA contender with a standout senior class.
5. Conestoga (14-7):The deep Pioneers also shared the Central League crown in 2016 and will contend in AAA.
6. Springfield-Delco (20-7): The Cougars have the distinction of winning the last PIAA title under one classification. They will contend in the Central League and for Class AA honors.
7. Salesianum School-DE (16-3): The Sals are a favorite to win a third straight Delaware state crown and play several national powers.
8. Strath Haven (19-7): The Panthers also shared the Central League title and reached the PIAA semifinals in 2016. They are a Class AA contender.
9. St. Augustine Prep (12-8): The deep Hermits, who fell, 10-6, to eventual Tournament of Champions winner Delbarton in last years Group A Private semifinals, have a strong senior class.
10. Avon Grove (19-3): The defending Ches-Mont League champion Red Devils will be a Ches-Mont and AAA contender.
11. Academy of the New Church (16-3): The three-time Friends Schools League champion Lions have brought in a lot of talent and look to defend their league crown and make some noise in the Inter-Ac Challenge.
12. Manheim Township (23-4): The Blue Streaks reached the PIAA semifinals last year and look to challenge in Class AAA with a load of young D1 commits.
13. Bishop Shanahan (18-4): The Eagles, a state qualifier in 2016, will contend in the Ches-Mont League.
14. Moorestown (18-4) The Quakers look to contend in New Jersey’s Group 3.
15. Springside Chestnut Hill Academy (8-11): The Blue Devils have a strong senior class and look to be a contender in the Inter-Ac League.
Under consideration: Allentown Central Catholic (18-4), Appoquinimink-DE (14-5), Central Bucks East (14-5), Downingtown East (10-9), Easton (18-4), Episcopal Academy (7-13), Haverford High (15-5); Hun School (11-7), Lawrenceville School (14-10), Lenape (17-2), Princeton Day School-NJ (15-1), Radnor (10-9), Ridley (8-11), Spring-Ford (21-3), St. Joseph’s Prep (12-6); West Chester East (14-6); Wilson (25-1).