Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 8/22/16
Registration is now open for the 3rd Annual ‘Stoga 5v5 Lax Fest, a youth clinic followed by an afternoon of small-sided round robin games for girls in multiple age groups and brackets — all played in a competitive, participatory 5v5 format. The event will be held on Oct. 16 at Conestoga High.
Sign up you team before September 9th and take advantage of the “early bird” discount.
This event is open to teams/girls in Grades 5-9.
The event, organized and hosted by Conestoga Girls’ Lacrosse, promises to attract several dozen teams from the Greater Philadelphia area. The Lax Fest will be staged in a fun and festive setting with contests, skills competition, food, refreshments, vendors, prizes and other activities!
The event will help raise money for the Fighting Back Scholarship Program and its Peter Kienzle Fund in particular. Fighting Back is an organization based in Malvern that assists individuals who are recovering from a life-changing illness or injury and are without the finances needed to participate in a rehabilitative exercise program.
Interested sponsors are invited to support the event. Click here for more information about sponsorship, the Pete Kienzle Fund and the Fighting Back Scholarship Program.
Eligibility: This event is open to girls in Grades 5-9 (i.e., Graduation Years 2020-2024). Township programs, clubs, coaches and parent promoters are encouraged to sign-up as many teams as interest permits. “A” and “B” brackets will be available (subject to level of interest) to enable teams to choose the appropriate level of competition. The event is also open to individuals who are not on a team but would like to experience the increasingly popular 5v5 format as members of “house teams” coached by members of the Conestoga girls’ varsity lacrosse team and/or volunteer coaches.
• 5v5 round robin format (4 field players and a goalie); 6 field players/team minimum; 9 field players/team maximum.
• Following the initial clinic sessions, Conestoga coaches/players will conduct a 5v5 clinic to demonstrate how the short-sided games are played and to go over the rules. The 5v5 “half-court” format affords the opportunity for girls to play offense, defense and in transition and promotes situational awareness. It also mirrors the format more and more college coaches are using for their fall/winter recruiting clinics/tournaments.
• Each team will play multiple short-sided games in quick succession throughout the afternoon (games are approximately 10 minutes in duration).
• Team coaches are invited to coach their teams. Conestoga High school varsity players and/or volunteer coaches will be provided to help coach as needed.
• Modified checking.
• Emphasis will be on having fun!
Team/Player Registration: Visit http://www.stogalaxfest.com/ to register
Registration Deadline: Monday, October 10, 2016 (registrations will be accepted on a “first come first served” basis until the event is full).
• $250/team – Early Bird Special (must be registered and paid ON OR BEFORE September 9th)
• $300 AFTER September 10th
• $30 per individual to play on a house team – includes participation in clinic session
Venue(s): Conestoga High School’s Teamer Field (and adjacent fields) — 200 Irish Road, Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Food/Festivities: Vendors will be on site selling food, water, Gatorade, soda, snacks and fun merchandise for the girls! Contests will be staged during the day with prizes awarded to winners.
What to Bring: Goggles, mouth guard, stick, turfs/cleats, goalie equipment, water bottle, team pinnie (or other reversible pinnie), a great attitude and a desire to learn a few tips and have fun playing lacrosse in a new and exciting format, one that fosters fast-paced action and promises numerous developmental benefits.
Stick Donations: The Conestoga Girls Lacrosse team is asking all teams/participants to bring a used lacrosse stick that can be donated to support the Philadelphia Lacrosse Association’s HEADstring Project (see http://headstringproject.com/).