follow us on...

Women’s roundup: @SJUHawks_WLax wins again in 2OT; Eastern prevails

Tuesday, 3rd March 2015

Categories College, Girl's/Women's, Posted 3/3/15
From Press Releases

For the second consecutive game, junior midfielder Kelly Phelan scored the overtime game-winner as the Saint Joseph’s women’s lacrosse team downed Wagner, 13-12, in double overtime on Monday evening on Sweeney Field. With the win, the Hawks improve to 2-1 on the season while the Seahawks fall to 2-3.

Just 12 seconds into the second overtime, Phelan was awarded a free position opportunity after drawing a foul on a Seahawks defender. Phelan ripped her shot past Wagner’s Kate Ferraro with 5:37 remaining in the second overtime for the EMO goal that would lift the Hawks to their second overtime victory in as many games.

Six different Hawks scored in SJU’s seven-goal first half, and Saint Joseph’s jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead to start the game on unassisted scores by sophomore defender Maggie Egan (29:32), freshmen attacks Rena Carabases (Lenape) (28:19) and Kristen Kelbon (Bishop Eustace Prep) (24:19), and sophomore midfielder Sarah Smith (24:04).

Wagner got on the scoreboard at the 23:11 mark to cut the deficit to three, but junior defender Mallory Grey (Randolph, N.J./Randolph) fired in her first collegiate goal just 20 seconds later to put the Hawks back up by four scores, 5-1.

Momentum would switch, however, after an SJU yellowcard in the eight meter set Wagner up with a free position opportunity. Shea Gegan converted on the EMO goal and Lauren Ednie recorded back-to-back scores (14:03, 13:01) to bring the Seahawks to within one, 5-4.

Saint Joseph’s sophomore midfielder Katelyn Ambrose (Southern Lehigh) responded to Ednie’s second goal just 33 seconds later to push SJU’s lead back up to two goals, 6-4, with 12:28 left to play in the first, but Wagner’s Gretchen Fay tallied back-to-back scores (11:45, 10:32) to tie the game for the first time at the 10:32 mark.

Egan scored just 31 seconds later on a dish from Phelan to push SJU back up one, but Seahawks’ Olivia Streilein converted free position shot with 3:19 remaining to tie the score back up, 7-7.

Streilein then netted a second goal just 1:11 later to give Wagner its first lead of the game, 8-7, with 2:08 to play in the first, and that score would stand heading into the halftime break.

Both teams would twice alternate pairs of goals to start the second half.

SJU came out firing first as Phelan (27:18) and Smith (26:69) netted unassisted tallies to jump back ahead, 9-8, before Wagner’s Nicole Luzzi (26:16) and Gegan (22:40) responded to regain the one-goal lead, 10-9.

Ambrose (18:44) and Phelan (18:05) would team up just 39 seconds apart on unassisted scores to retake the lead, 11-10, but Wagner tacked on another two scores (14:57, 11:24) to take back the one-goal lead, 12-11, with 11:24 remaining in regulation.

Trailing by one and with just over eight minutes to play in the second half, Phelan rocketed in the equalizer on an assist from Smith with 8:06 to play to eventually force the game into overtime before converting on her double-overtime game-winner.

For the game, Saint Joseph’s held a 28-25 edge in shots and a dominating 24-5 advantage in draw controls, including a 12-4 first-half and 9-1 second-half effort. Phelan fired off 10 shots and won nine draw controls to lead the squad in both categories.

Senior goalkeeper Nora McGeever (Archbishop Carroll) (2-1) went the distance, making six saves in a complete-game effort for her second consecutive win in net.

Eastern 12, Walsh 8

Eastern won its first game of the season and the first of new head coach Kim Campbell’s career.

Eastern scored first on a goal by Stephanie Hogan 1:15 into the game. Walsh responded with three goals over the next 11 minutes. Eastern answered with tallies by Anna Charlebois and Julie Haggan to tie the game at 3-3 with 6:55 left in the first half. Walsh took the lead with 5:38 to go, but Eastern went on a whirlwind six-goal run to close out the half and start the second half to gain a comfortable 9-4 lead.

Jenn McKelvie scored two goals the two Eastern goals to close out the period, including one with just 40 seconds left. McKelvie, a sophomore, ended up leading all players with five goals.

Tags: ,


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines