Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 9/10/15
From Press Release
Registration remains open for the 2nd Annual ‘Stoga 5v5 Lax Fest (http://www.stogalaxfest.com/), a festival featuring youth clinic sessions and an afternoon of small-sided round robin games for girls in multiple age groups and brackets — all played in a competitive, participatory 5v5 format.
The event, organized and hosted by Conestoga Girls’ Lacrosse, promises to attract teams from Greater Philadelphia. Register soon, space is limited.
This year, the event will help raise money for the Fighting Back Scholarship Program and its Peter Kienzle Fund. Fighting Back is an organization based in Malvern that assists individuals who are recovering from a life-changing illness or injury and are without the finances needed to participate in a rehabilitative exercise program. The Kienzle Fund was established in memory of Peter Kienzle, a cherished member of the Conestoga lacrosse community. Interested sponsors are invited to support the event and this worthy cause; several sponsorship levels are available (please see http://www.stogalaxfest.com/sponsors/).
Eligibility: This event is open to girls in Grades 5-9 (i.e., Graduation Years 2019-2023). Township programs, clubs, coaches and parent promoters are encouraged to sign-up as many teams as interest permits. “A” and “B” brackets will be available (subject to level of interest) to enable teams to choose the appropriate level of competition.
The event is also open to individuals who are not on a team but would like to experience the increasingly popular 5v5 format as members of “house teams” coached by members of the Conestoga girls’ varsity lacrosse team and/or volunteer coaches. Individuals may also sign up to participate in the clinic only.
• One hour clinic (3 stations plus a goalie station); highly credentialed clinicians.
• 5v5 round robin format (4 field players and a goalie); 6 field players/team minimum; 9 field players/team maximum. Teams will play multiple short-sided games in quick succession with period breaks (games are approximately 10 minutes long).
• ‘Stoga coaches/players will conduct a 5v5 scrimmage to demonstrate how short-sided games are played and teach the rules. The 5v5 “half-court” format requires the girls to play offense, defense and in transition and promotes situational awareness. It also mirrors the format more and more college coaches are using for their fall/winter recruiting clinics/tournaments.
• Team coaches are invited to coach their teams. ‘Stoga players and/or volunteer coaches will be provided to help coach as needed.
• Modified checking.
• Emphasis will be on having fun!
11:00am-12:00pm Lunch concessions, check-in, dynamic warm-up/stretching conducted by certified trainers
12pm-1pm Clinic Sessions (shooting, dodging, defensive techniques) with top-notch guest clinicians
1pm-1:15pm 5v5 Demonstration Clinic (Short-Sided Format – Rules and Techniques)
1:30pm-4:00pm 5v5 Round Robin Games
4:00pm-4:25pm OPTIONAL – An Overview on “College Recruiting and Playing at the Highest Level”
Venue(s): Conestoga High School’s Teamer Field (and adjacent fields) — 200 Irish Road, Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Food/Festivities: Vendors will be on site selling food, water, Gatorade, soda, snacks and fun merchandise for the girls! Contests will be staged during the day with prizes awarded to winners.
Team/Player Registration: Visit http://www.stogalaxfest.com/ to register.
• Programs directors/coaches – Set up an account (retain your User ID and Password to access your team information), and indicate the name of the team, the age group and the level.
• Players on any given team will also need to register once the team is signed-up; players will be able to select their team from a drop down list to join that team’s roster. All players must be current members of US Lacrosse.
• Individual players interested in attending the clinic and joining the fast-paced 5v5 fun (including goalies) can register and join the fun on “house teams.” NO WALK UP REGISTRATIONS CAN BE ACCEPTED.
Registration Deadline: Monday, September 28, 2015 (registrations will be accepted on a “first come first served” basis until the event is full.
Cost: $225/team (or $25 per individual to play on a house team); “Clinic Only” option for individuals is $15. Payment is web-enabled; pay on-line or via check.
What to Bring: Goggles, mouth guard, stick, turfs/cleats, goalie equipment, water bottle, team pinnie (or other reversible pinnie), a great attitude and a desire to learn a few tips and have fun playing lacrosse in a new and exciting format, one that fosters fast-paced action and promises numerous developmental benefits.
Stick Donations: As with last year, the Conestoga Girls Lacrosse team is asking all teams/participants to bring a used lacrosse stick that can be donated to support the Philadelphia Lacrosse Association’s HEADstring Project (see http://headstringproject.com.
We will hope to see you at the ‘Stoga 5v5 Lax Fest! Please contact Marty Stenson (email@example.com; 610-844-4096) for additional information or questions.