By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/27/15
After being the No. 1 team every week for four years since being included in the Phillylacrosse.com Rankings, Moorestown has given up its spot as the top team this week. The Quakers, who had an amazing 88-game win streak snapped by Ridgewood, drop to No. 4. Conestoga takes over the top spot, while two other teams could stake a legitimate claim to the top spot.
Why Conestoga? We used quality wins as the deciding factors since Conestoga, No. 2 Radnor, No. 3 Agnes Irwin and No. 4 Moorestown each have one loss. Agnes Irwin did handle Conestoga, 16-8, early in the year; hence the explanation.
Conestoga has wins over Top 11 teams/National powers Vero Beach (FL), Harriton, Radnor, Great Valley and Episcopal Academy. Radnor has wins over Garnet Valley, Milton, Suffern, Harriton and Great Valley. Agnes Irwin has wins over Conestoga, Vero, Ponte Vedra (FL) and Garnet Valley. Moorestown has defeated Rumson-Fair Haven and Shawnee.
There are fair arguments for at least the top three teams to be No. 1. What does it mean now? Not as much as it will on June 6.
This week’s Phillylacrosse.com Rankings:
1. Conestoga (12-1) Prev: No. 2 The Pioneers, with 12 straight wins and an undefeated record in the Central League, take over the No. 1 spot.
2. Radnor (11-1) Prev: No. 3The Raiders need someone to beat Conestoga to have a shot at first place in the Central League.
3. Agnes Irwin (13-1) Prev: No. 4 The Owls play Friday at Episcopal Academy with first place in the Inter-Ac League on the line.
4. Moorestown (11-1) Prev: No. 1 The Quakers have no time to fret over their loss to Ridgewood today as they host undefeated Lenape.
5. Episcopal Academy (13-3) Prev: No. 5 EA has suffered all three of its defeats by one goal.
6. Archbishop Carroll (11-0) Prev: No. 6 The Patriots defeated Merion Mercy, 16-12, at Katie Samson.
7. Lenape (10-0) Prev: No. 7 The Indians play at Moorestown today.
8. Great Valley (11-2) Prev: No. 8 The Patriots play Saturday at Garnet Valley.
9. Harriton (11-3) Prev: No. 9 The Rams play Thursday at Strath Haven.
10. Springfield-Delco (9-2) Prev: No. 10 The Cougars play at Lower Merion on Thursday.
11. Garnet Valley (8-5) Prev: No. 12 The Jaguars host No. 1 Conestoga on Tuesday.
12. Academy of Notre Dame (8-2) Prev: No. 11 The Fighting Irish play Tuesday at Episcopal Academy.
13. Unionville (10-2) Prev: No. 13 The Indians play Tuesday at Henderson.
14. Cape Henlopen (7-3) Prev: No. 15 The Vikings play Tuesday at 9-0 Polytech.
15. Owen J. Roberts (14-1) Prev: No. 14 The Wildcats had their 14-game win streak snapped Saturday at Central Bucks West, 10-9.
Bishop Shanahan (9-3), Central Bucks West (10-3), Friends’ Central (10-3), Haverford High (10-4), Manheim Township (8-6), Shawnee (7-3), Souderton (11-2), Southern Lehigh (13-0), Strath Haven (8-3).