Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 9/7/14
Registration is now open for the Inaugural ‘Stoga 5v5 Lax Fest, which will feature clinic sessions followed by an afternoon of competitive small-sided round robin games for girls in multiple age groups and brackets – all played in an exciting, participatory and fast-paced 5v5 format.
The event, which will be held on Sunday, October 5th at Conestoga High, promises to attract players and teams from throughout the Greater Philadelphia area. The event will be staged in a fun and festive setting with face painting, music, dance contests, shooting contests, vendors, prizes and other fun activities!
Eligibility: This event is open to girls in Grades 5-9 (i.e., Graduation Years 2018-2022). Depending on the level of interest, Grades/Graduation Years may feature A and B brackets to enable teams (and individual registrants) to choose the appropriate level of competition. Recreational programs, clubs, coaches and parent promoters are encouraged to sign-up as many teams as interest permits. The event is open to individuals who are not on a team but would like to experience the increasingly popular 5v5 format as members of “house teams” coached by members of the Conestoga girls’ varsity lacrosse team and/or volunteer coaches.
• 5v5 round robin format (4 field players and a goalie); 6 field players/team minimum; 9 field players/team maximum.
• Following the initial clinic sessions, Conestoga coaches/players will conduct a 5v5 clinic to demonstrate how the short-sided games are played and to go over the rules. The 5v5 “half-court” format affords the opportunity for girls to play offense, defense and in transition and promotes situational awareness. It also mirrors the format more and more college coaches are using for their fall/winter recruiting clinics/tournaments.
• Each team will play multiple short-sided games in quick succession throughout the afternoon (games are approximately 10 minutes in duration).
• Team coaches are invited to coach their teams. Conestoga High school varsity players and/or volunteer coaches will be provided to help coach as needed.
• Modified checking.
• Emphasis will be on having fun!
10:30am-11:15am Check-In / Warm-Up
11:30am-12:30pm Clinic Sessions and 5v5 Demonstration
12:45pm-5pm 5v5 Round Robin Games & Festival Activities (lunch breaks will be staggered by bracket)
Venue(s): Conestoga High School’s Teamer Field (and adjacent TE Middle School Fields, as necessary) — 200 Irish Road, Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Food/Festivities: Vendors will be on site selling food, water, Gatorade, soda, candy, snacks and merchandise. Contests will be staged during the day with prizes awarded to winners.
Team/Player Registration: Visit http://www.stogalaxfest.com/ to register. Set up an account (retain your User ID and Password to access your team information), and indicate the name of the team, the age group and the level (players on any given team will also need to register once the team is signed-up; players will be able to select their team from a drop down list to join that team’s roster). Individual players interested in attending the clinic and joining the fast-paced 5v5 fun (including goalies) can register and join the fun on “house teams.” NO WALK UP REGISTRATIONS CAN BE ACCEPTED.
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 (registrations will be accepted on a “first come first served” basis until the event is full.
Cost: $225/team (or $25 per individual to play on a house team). Payment is web-enabled; you can pay on-line or via check.
What to Bring: Goggles, mouth guard, stick, turfs/cleats, goalie equipment, water bottle, team pinnie (or other reversible pinnie), a great attitude and a desire to learn a few tips and have fun playing lacrosse in a new and exciting format, one that fosters fast-paced action and promises numerous developmental benefits.
Please contact Marty Stenson (firstname.lastname@example.org; 610-844-4096) for additional information.