By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/19/14
The District 1 tournament cooks up Tuesday with the semifinals and two crucial playbacks (top six teams advance to states). Also this week, the PA Independent Schools tourney opens with the title game slated for Thursday or Friday. This week’s rankings:
2. Garnet Valley (19-1) Prev: No. 2- The Jaguars face Harriton Tuesday at Haverford High (7:30) in the District 1 semifinals.
3. Springfield-Delco (20-2) Prev: No. 3 – The Cougars meet Great Valley in the District 1 semifinals Tuesday (5:45 p.m.) at Haverford High.
4. Harriton (16-5) Prev: No. 4 – The Rams meet Garnet Valley in the District 1 semifinals Tuesday at Haverford High (7:30 p.m.).
5. Archbishop Carroll (16-3) Prev: No. 5 – The Patriots face Archbishop Wood tonight at Neumann (7 p.m.) University in search of their 14th straight Catholic League championship.
6. Agnes Irwin (19-1) Prev: No. 6 – The Owls are the top seed in the PA Independent Schools tourney, and finish today in the Inter-Ac at home against Germantown Academy. They need a win to clinch at least a tie for the crown.
7. Episcopal Academy (15-3) Prev: No. 7 – EA is the No. 2 seed in the PA Independent School tourney and must defeat Notre Dame Academy today to clinch at least a tie for the Inter-Ac title.
8. Great Valley (18-2) Prev: No. 10 The Patriots play Springfield-Delco Tuesday (5:45 p.m.) at Haverford High in the District 1 semifinals.
9. Manheim Township (20-2) Prev: No. 9 – The Blue Streaks face Kennard-Dale in the District 3 semifinals Tuesday at Hershey High (5 p.m.).
11. Radnor (16-5) Prev: No. 8 – The Raiders host Conestoga Tuesday in a first-round playoff game that will yield a state berth.
11. Conestoga (12-9) Prev: No. 12 – The Pioneers play at Radnor in the first round of playbacks Tuesday
12. Downingtown East (16-4) Prev: No. 13 – The Cougars host Henderson in the first round of playbacks – the winner is in states, the loser is out.
13. Cape Henlopen (11-5) Prev: No. 15 – The Vikings host Ursuline Academy in the semifinals of the state tournament on Tuesday.
14. Henderson (16-4) Prev: NR – The Warriors play at Downingtown East Tuesday (4 p.m.) in the first round of playbacks.
15. Strath Haven (11-7) Prev: No. 11 – The Panthers got knocked out of districts in the first round, but had some big wins this year, including victories over Georgia powers Milton and Walton, and Manheim Township.
Under consideration Bishop Shanahan (11-5), Boyertown (18-4), Central Bucks West (14-7), Cherokee (13-6), Clearview Regional (14-5), Downingtown West (12-7), Germantown Academy (12-7), Haverford High (12-8), Hatboro-Horsham (15-5), Lenape (17-1), Merion Mercy (13-4), Shawnee (12-6), Souderton (15-2), Spring-Ford (14-5), Unionville (13-6), Villa Maria Academy (15-3).