follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: Heath (St. Joseph’s Prep) helps Delaware open with 10-3 win over High Point

Saturday, 1st February 2014

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 2/1/14
From Staff Report and Press Release

Jeff Heath (St. Joseph’s Prep) and Steve Delargy each scored two goals today as Delaware opened its season with a 10-3 victory over host High Point.

Beau Jones (Germantown Academy) and Alex Martinelli (Moorestown) each scored once for the Blue Hens and senior co-captain James Connelly (Malvern Prep) contributed three groundballs and two caused turnovers Connor Peaks made 15 saves.

“We really focused this week on their (High Point’s) strengths, our guys did a great job preparing, and it paid off,” said Delaware head coach Bob Shillinglaw. “This is a group that plays well together, they enjoy each other, and they have developed a good chemistry. Conor (Peaks) did a great job today and our defense created saveable shots that he came through on. We made them battle for every shot they took.”

Junior co-captain defenseman Pat Farrell (St. Joseph’s Prep) finished the game with three caused turnovers and one ground ball to lead high point.

Delaware took a quick 2-0 lead with back-to-back goals from the right alley by Brian Kormondy and Heath. Sophomore Matt Thistle was pushed by Connelly, giving HPU an extra-man opportunity with 10 minutes left in the first quarter. Sophomore Dan Lomas got off two shots but HPU was unable to score. The Blue Hens pushed the lead to 3-0 when Delargy pushed off his defender and fired in a shot with 6:17 on the clock.

Brad James (St. Joseph’s Prep) started the second quarter with High Point’s first goal. He spun around a Delaware defender and bounced in a shot to make it a 3-1 UD lead. After 10 scoreless minutes Delaware’s Connor McRoy scored to push the lead to 4-1. With 4:55 to play in the second quarter Brendan Montrello passed inside to freshman LeClair who buried the shot for his first collegiate goal. Piluso was flagged for pushing on the next face-off and Delaware capitalized with an man-up goal from Delargy. With less than a minute left in the second, Delaware scored to lead 6-2.

Delaware scored the only two goals in the third quarter, one each from Delargy and McRpy. LeClair fed the ball inside to Lomas who scored on an underhand shot with 10:34 on the clock in the fourth quarter to make it a 8-3 game. The Blue Hens scored the final two goals of the game to win 10-3.

The Blue Hens outshot High Point 42-32 despite a 16-7 advantage for the Panthers in the fourth quarter. HPU was 16-of-19 on clear attempts while Delaware was 17-of-17.

“Obviously this isn’t how we wanted to start the season,” said High point head coach Jon Torpey, the former Philadelphia Wing and member of the Philadelphia Barrage. “I felt we made some good defensive adjustments in the second half but our offense just never came together today. Delaware is a very good team and they buried shots early and we had to play catch up the entire game.”

Tags: ,


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines