Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 2/16/14
Limited spots are available for U-13 boys that wish to try out for the Blue Ox Lacrosse select club team on Sunday, Feb. 23, from 6:30-8:30 p.m., at Phelps School in Malvern.
The Blue Ox team will primarily play its games during the spring time. Games will be full run-time games, intended to be more conducive to the growth of players’ knowledge of the sport. These games will also allow for coaches to provide instruction, instead of having 20 minute running halves (not enough time for players to learn from mistakes or build on successes).
This tryout is filling up fast and is only for elite U-13 players who have much experience. The tryout is capped at 35 players. The players who are not selected to participate in the games with the select team can opt for the opportunity to participate in Blue Ox training sessions. The training will also give players the opportunity to be selected at a future date if their play warrants a selection.
To be considered for a tryout, you must e-mail director Matt Mackrides at email@example.com. Mackrides, a former Malvern Prep and Penn State star who has been named to the US National Team for this summer’s World Games and was an MLL champion last summer, is joined by two-time NCAA Division I champion Billy Conners (Malvern Prep, Duke) as the head coaches.
Blue Ox is also holding three more Spring Tune Up sessions on Sunday mornings (February 16th, 23rd, and March 2nd). The sessions are for high school players and U-15 players. High school sessions are from 8:30 – 9:45 am and U-15 sessions are from 10 – 11:45 am.
This training affords players the opportunity to hone their skills before their respected spring seasons with their schools or township teams. Any questions for any player or family interested in participating can be handled by emailing Mackrides at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Blue Ox Select Team Evaluation is for advanced middle school lacrosse players, interested in specialized, Division 1 level training.
• Date: February 23rd (6:30 – 8:30PM)
• Location: The Phelps School
• Cost: $25
• What you are playing for: Team will be competing against top-level programs on the East-Coast in the Spring time (Will not conflict with Spring Township team)
• Training Team: Training team will receive all training with the opportunity to advance to Select team.
• Focus: Main emphasis will be on training in order to perfect the fundamentals of the sport