Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 9/19/14
From Press Release
Registration remains open for the ‘Stoga 5v5 Lax Fest on Sunday, Oct. 5 at Conestoga High.
The event will feature clinic sessions (taught by former D1 players and array of outstanding coaches) followed by a day of competitive small-sided round robin games for girls in multiple age groups and brackets — all played in an exciting, participatory and fast-paced 5v5 format.
The event promises to attract teams from throughout the Greater Philadelphia area. It is also open to individuals, who are invited to participate not only in the clinic but on the house teams that will be created for the 5v5 games.
Eligibility: This event is open to girls in Grades 5-9 (i.e., Graduation Years 2018-2022). Depending on the level of interest, Grades/Graduation Years may feature A and B brackets to enable teams (and individual registrants) to choose the appropriate level of competition. Recreational programs, clubs, coaches and parent promoters are encouraged to sign-up as many teams as interest permits. The event is open to individuals who are not on a team but would like to experience the increasingly popular 5v5 format as members of “house teams” coached by members of the Conestoga girls’ varsity lacrosse team and/or volunteer coaches.
• 5v5 round robin format (4 field players and a goalie); 6 field players/team minimum; 9 field players/team maximum.
• Following the initial clinic sessions, Conestoga coaches/players will conduct a 5v5 clinic to demonstrate how the short-sided games are played and to go over the rules. The 5v5 “half-court” format affords the opportunity for girls to play offense, defense and in transition and promotes situational awareness. It also mirrors the format more and more college coaches are using for their fall/winter recruiting clinics/tournaments.
• Each team will play multiple short-sided games in quick succession throughout the afternoon (games are approximately 10 minutes in duration).
• Team coaches are invited to coach their teams. Conestoga High school varsity players and/or volunteer coaches will be provided to help coach as needed.
• Modified checking.
• If you’re having trouble finding a goalie let us know …we can probably help!
• Emphasis will be on having fun!
11:00am-12:00pm Lunch concessions, check-in, dynamic warm-up/stretching conducted by certified trainers
12pm-1pm Clinic Sessions (shooting, dodging, defensive techniques) with guest clinicians Emma Hamm/Kim Wenger and others
1pm-1:15pm 5v5 Demonstration Clinic (Short-Sided Format Rules and Techniques)
1:30pm-4:00pm 5v5 Round Robin Games
4:00pm-4:25pm OPTIONAL – Villanova Head Coach Julie Young – An Overview on “College Recruiting and Playing at the Highest Level”
Venue(s): Conestoga High School’s Teamer Field (and adjacent TE Middle School Fields, as necessary) — 200 Irish Road, Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Food/Festivities: Vendors will be on site selling food, water, gatorade, soda, snacks and fun merchandise for the girls! Contests will be staged during the day with prizes awarded to winners.
Team/Player Registration: Visit http://www.stogalaxfest.com/ to register. Set up an account (retain your User ID and Password to access your team information), and indicate the name of the team, the age group and the level (players on any given team will also need to register once the team is signed-up; players will be able to select their team from a drop down list to join that team’s roster). Individual players interested in attending the clinic and joining the fast-paced 5v5 fun (including goalies) can register and join the fun on “house teams.” NO WALK UP REGISTRATIONS CAN BE ACCEPTED.
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 (registrations will be accepted on a “first come first served” basis until the event is full.
Cost: $225/team (or $25 per individual to play on a house team). Payment is web-enabled; you can pay on-line or via check.
What to Bring: Goggles, mouth guard, stick, turfs/cleats, goalie equipment, water bottle, team pinnie (or other reversible pinnie), a great attitude and a desire to learn a few tips and have fun playing lacrosse in a new and exciting format, one that fosters fast-paced action and promises numerous developmental benefits.
We will hope to see you at the ‘Stoga 5v5 Lax Fest! Please contact Marty Stenson (firstname.lastname@example.org; 610-844-4096) for additional information or questions.