follow us on...

Friday’s men’s college roundup: @UDMensLacrosse tops UMass, makes playoffs; @DrexelDragons win

Saturday, 26th April 2014

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 4/26/14
From Press releases

The University of Delaware men’s lacrosse team picked a good time to come up with its best effort of the season.

With a berth in the Colonial Athletic Association Tournament on the line and the chance to allow the team’s six seniors to continue their careers, the Blue Hens jumped out to a 6-0 lead and never looked back in posting a 15-7 Senior Night victory over Massachusetts Friday at rainy Delaware Stadium.

Delaware (7-8, 1-4 CAA), which snapped a three-game losing streak, earned the fourth and final spot in the upcoming CAA Tournament and will travel to top-seed Hofstra on Wednesday to begin post-season play. The three-time CAA champion Blue Hens will be making their first CAA Tournament appearance since winning back-to-back title in 2010 and 2011.

Junior Tom Holland scored a career-high five goals, Beau Jones contributed five points on three goals and two assists, and Jeff Heath (St. Joseph’s Prep), Connor Frisina (Conestoga), and Dan Keane each added two goals apiece to support an offensive attack that tied the team’s season-high for goals.

Brian Kormondy, who has scored a point in all 15 games this season, added three assists for the Blue Hens while Alex Martinelli (Moorestown) added a goal and an assist. Delaware goalkeeper Conor Peaks stopped 10 shots and Tyler Mardian won 9 of 15 faceoff attempts after UD starter Tyler Barbarich, who had won 7 of his 10 draws, left the game in the first half with an injury.

Massachusetts, which needed a win to advance to the CAA Tournament, lost its fourth straight game to end its year with a mark of 7-6 (1-4 CAA). Nick Mariano led the Minutemen with three goals and two assists and Kyle Mooney recorded two goals and two assists.

Delaware avenged a pair of consecutive losses to UMass, which had downed the Hens 17-6 in 2012 at Delaware Stadium and 16-8 last year. The wins was the Hens’ first over the Minutemen sine a 9-7 win in 2011at the CAA Championship game.

Delaware outshot the Minutemen by a slim 40-39 margin but dominated play on faceoffs (16-9) and groundballs (35-23). The Hens were whistled for seven penalties on the night and UMass converted on four man-up situations.

Despite playing in a downpour to start the game, the Blue Hens came out quickly, scoring four goals in a span of 2:35 to take a 5-0 lead after one quarter as Jones scored twice and dished out an assist on another score.

Another Jones goal early in the second period pushed the lead to 6-0 before the Minutemen rallied back, scoring three man-up goals in a span of just under three minutes to cut the lead to 8-4 at the break.

Delaware scored early in the second half to push the lead back to five, but UMass answered with goals by Mooney and Mariano to cut the margin to 9-6 with 7:37 remaining in the third stanza.

But that was as close as UMass would get the rest of the night as Holland, who had entered the game with just 11 total goals all season, led a four-goal charge into the final quarter to push the lead back to 13-6 and he scored again with 5:15 left to put the game out of reach. Among Holland’s goals was a highlight reel behind the back shot past UMass backup goalkeeper Reed Goodhue.

Delaware honored its six seniors in a pre-game ceremony as defenders Trip Ashley and James Connelly (Malvern Prep), midfielders Garrett Johnson and Connor McRoy, attackman Keane, and goalkeeper Chris Herbert were all introduced at midfield along with their parents and family members.

Drexel 11, High Point 8

Drexel scored the first four goals of the game and never trailed on its way to a win at High Point. The Dragons ended the regular season with their sixth straight win and a 10-4 overall record. High Point fell to 8-6 on the season. Ben McIntosh recorded another hat trick, while Jules Raucci (Garnet Valley) and Jared Boudreau each added a pair of goals in the win.

Raucci put the Dragons on the board just in the game’s fourth minute and Drexel never looked back. Less than a minute later, freshman Cole Shafer netted his 26th goal of the year. The next seven minutes were scoreless before Drexel’s high-powered offense scored two goals in the span of seven seconds. Raucci set up McIntosh’s first goal of the night with 2:38 left in the opening quarter. In what has been a common occurence this season, Nick Saputo won the ensuing draw clean and set up Jake Genossa in transition, giving the visitors a four-goal advantage. High Point was finally able to break its scoring drought on a Dan Lomas goal in the final minute.

The Dragons opened the second quarter with two scores in the first 21 seconds. Saputo again won the face-off, and 12 seconds into the second scored for the third time this season. Deven Thomas went out to take the face-off. He won the draw and after the ball got loose, Boudreau picked it up and fired it home making it 6-1. The teams would swap the next four goals to end the half as Drexel went to intermission ahead, 8-3. McIntosh and Raucci scored for Drexel, while Matt Koerner and Mitchell Dupere had the High Point scores.

Drexel was able to maintain a comfortable lead for most of the second half. The Dragons were able to maintain at least a four-goal cushion until the final minute of the game, when Bucky Smith scored a pair of goals to make the final score 11-8.

Boudreau, McIntosh and Belka scored second half goals for the Dragons, who outshot the Panthers, 45-31. McIntosh recorded his 15th career hat trick in the game for DU. The senior now has 90 career goals. He passed Scott Perri and moved into a tie with Jeff Iannarino for 11th on the Drexel career goals list. Raucci tied a career-high with three points, while Trizano handed out a pair of assists. Trizano now has 45 points on the season, second on the team to McIntosh, who has 49 points. Gabrielsen turned aside 10 shots in the cage to improve his record to 10-3.

Smith was the only multiple-goal scorer for High Point. Matt Thistle handed out three assists, while teammate Michael Leclair added a pair. Austin Geisler helped keep the game within reach for the Panthers as he made 20 saves.

The Dragons will begin play in the Colonial Athletic Association Championships on Wednesday. Drexel will face Towson at Vidas Field in Philadelphia. Face-off is set for 7 p.m. The winner will face either Hofstra or Delaware in the CAA championship game next Saturday at the highest remaining seed.

Tags: ,


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines