By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/8/13
The rankings saw a lot of movement this week as Malvern Prep moved into the top spot after former No. 1 La Salle lost two games. This week marks the start of the Inter-Ac League schedule and it opens with a great matchup today as No. 5 Haverford School hosts No. 4 Penn Charter at 3:45 p.m.
This week’s rankings:
1. Malvern Prep (5-0) Prev: No. 2 – The Friars open Inter-Ac play Tuesday at much-improved Springside Chestnut Hill Academy.
2. Episcopal Academy (4-3) Prev: No. 6 – The Churchmen have played simply exceptional lacrosse in wins over Downingtown East, La Salle, and St. Joseph’s Prep. They open Inter-Ac play Tuesday at Germantown Academy.
3. La Salle (2-2) Prev: No. 1 – The Explorers figure to recover from their losses to EA and Gilman School (MD), starting today when they open Catholic League play against Lansdale Catholic.
4. Penn Charter (8-3) Prev: No. 4 – The Quakers, who have won eight in a row, have a monster week as they play at Haverford School today and Malvern Prep (Friday, but could be moved to Thursday). Then on Saturday they meet LaCosta Canyon in the “Checking for Cancer” invitational.
5. Haverford School (5-3) Prev: No. 5 – The Fords play today at home vs. Penn Charter in a very intriguing Inter-Ac opener. On Saturday they host Salisbury School (CT) in the “Checking for Cancer” invite.
6. Radnor (4-2) Prev: No. 3 – The Red Raiders lost two games last week and look to rebound Tuesday when they host Upper Darby in the Central League before playing Thursday at Ridley.
7. Avon Grove (6-0) Prev: No. 15 – The Red Devils play a Ches-Mont game Tuesday at Unionville and then travel to No. 15 Central Bucks East on Saturday.
8. St. Joseph’s Prep (2-3) Prev: No. 7 – The Hawks look to shake a three-game losing streak Wednesday when they travel to Roman Catholic. They also host powerful Hill Academy Saturday night at Cabrini College.
9. Conestoga (2-3) Prev: No. 8 – The Pioneers host Springfield-Delco on Tuesday as they look to rebound from a lopsided loss to MIAA power Boys’ Latin.
10. Springside Chestnut Hill Academy (7-0) Prev: No. 12 – The Blue Devils host No. 1 Malvern Prep Tuesday. Welcome back to the Inter-Ac!
11. Ridley (4-1) Prev: No. 9 – The Green Raiders look to rebound from a defeat to Avon Grove at the Relentless Cup Tuesday when they host Strath Haven.
12. Moorestown (3-0) Prev: No. 13 – The Quakers earned a huge 8-7 win over New Jersey power Ridge.
13. Manheim Township (7-1) Prev: NR – The Blue Streaks topped another District 1 team last week, Downingtown West, 9-2.
14. Garnet Valley (4-2) Prev: NR- The Jaguars earned three wins last week, over Strath Haven, Radnor and Bishop Shanahan. They play at undefeated Penncrest Tuesday.
15. Central Bucks East (5-0) Prev: NR – The Patriots have a big game Saturday at home vs. No. 7 Avon Grove.
Under consideration: Bishop Shanahan (3-1), Great Valley (4-2), Lawrenceville School (5-0), Owen J. Roberts (4-1), Penncrest (4-0), Salesianum School (2-2), Shawnee (3-0), St. Augustine Prep (1-2), Upper Dublin (5-1).
Tags: Malvern Prep