Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 11/5/13
The 21st Annual Philadelphia Lacrosse Association Golf Outing took place on Columbus Day, October 14th, at Bidermann Golf Club in Greenville, Delaware. One hundred golfers and fifty sponsors participated and helped the PLA raised over $21,700 to further the PLA’s mission.
The PLA will use much of the proceeds to continue supporting the Philadelphia School District’s middle grades program, which features 8 teams (4 boys/4 girls), and the 12 PIAA sanctioned high school teams (6 boys/6 girls) in the City.
Golf Classic proceeds will also help the PLA conduct high school and youth coaches’ clinics (including the second annual Northeast Pennsylvania clinic in Scranton as well as the annual Berks County, Lehigh County, SEPYLA and EPLCA coaches’ clinics), sponsor area charitable tournaments and provide new start grants. Over the years, the PLA has dispensed close to $350,000 in “New Start” money to support new lacrosse programs in Greater Philadelphia and Central Pennsylvania, which was originally part of the PLA’s Chapter territory.
Bidermann proved to be a popular and scenic venue for the annual event. It was once the private course of Henry Francis du Pont at his Winterthur estate. Golfers found the course, and particularly the greens, challenging. To a person, participants we excited to have a chance to play a course with such memorable views and vistas. Many were pleased to discover a course that is known in golf circles as a “Hidden Gem.”
The PLA Golf Outing this year was held in “In Loving Memory” of dear friends in the lacrosse community who passed away since the 2012 golf classic last October, including Avery Blake Jr., James “Big Jim” Bennett, Nick Falcone, Kevin Figaniak, Joseph “Doc” Jurich, Bill Lawson, Robert Montgomery, Abigail “Abby” O’Beirne, Warren “The Captain” Scott, and Kip Taviano.
Winners of the individual skill contests at this year’s PLA golf classic were as follows:
Closest to the Pin
• 4th Hole – Dave Walters, 11’5”
• 8th Hole (Front) – Johnny Mouradian, 2’7”
• 8th Hole (Back) – Dave Walters, 2’
• 11th Hole – Rob Sutton, 1’8”
• 16th Hole – Mike McGuane, 6’
• 2nd Hole – Jeff Randazzo
• 15th Hole – Bill McGlone
• 6th Hole – Jim Bannon
• 17th Hole – Brian Fleming
Winners of the team contests were as follows:
NET TOURNAMENT (Determined using a “Callaway” format and the application of a secret and unknown algorithm)
• 1st Place: Terry Casey, Mark Aitken, Jim Still, Rob Lord (63)
• 2nd Place: John McEvoy, Paul O’Grady, Mike McGuane, John Begier (64)
• 3rd Place: Scott Ely, Jeff Long, JP Banks, Jim Beury (65)
• 4th Place: Drew Pressman, Steve Friedman, Peter Zonino, John Hildebrand (66)
GROSS TOURNAMENT (Best Ball of Foursome)
• 1st Place: Jim Pettit, Bruce White, Scott Porter, Andrew Pettit (63)
• 2nd Place: Jeff Murray, Matt Flynn, Bill McGlone, Jeff Randazzo (65)
• 3rd Place: Deb Andress, Ron Forster, Rob Forster, Jack Forster (66)
• 4th Place: Mark Bartosh, Rick Kienzle, Bill Holmes, Dan Gerrity (67)