By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/28/13
The PIAA tournament opens Wednesday as 16 teams shoot for the right to go to Hershey on June 8. In the four years the tourney has been held, only three-time defending champion Conestoga, La Salle (one title) and St.Joseph’s Prep have made it to Hershey.
1. La Salle (19-2) Prev: No. 2 – The Explorers won their second straight District 12 championship and face Radnor in the first round of state Wednesday at Plymouth Whitemarsh (5 p.m.)
2. Malvern Prep (16-2) Prev: No. 1 – The Friars settled for second place in the Inter-Ac Invitational, but were Inter-Ac League champions.
3. Haverford School (14-7) Prev: No. 4 – The Fords won their fourth Inter-Ac Invitational title in five years.
4. Salesianum School (17-2) Prev: No. 5-The Sals routed Caesar Rodney to win their third straight Delaware state championship.
5. Episcopal Academy (15-6) Prev: No. 3 – The Churchmen may not have won a title this year, but had wins over the top three teams in the rankings.
6. Avon Grove (19-3) Prev: No. 7 – The Red Devils, fresh off their first District 1 championship, meet Hershey at Henderson at 6 p.m. in the first round of states.
7. Garnet Valley (17-6) Prev: No. 9 – The Jaguars meet Great Valley at Henderson at 4 p.m. Wednesday in the first round of PIAA action.
8. Radnor (18-4) Prev: No. 6 – The Red Raiders meet La Salle in the first round of PIAA play Wednesday at Plymouth Whitemarsh (5 p.m.)
9. Conestoga (12-10) Prev: No. 8 – The Pioneers play Manheim Township in the first round of states Wednesday at Exeter (8 p.m.).
10. Great Valley (16-5) Prev: No. 12 – The Patriots play Garnet Valley in the first round of state Wednesday at Henderson (4 p.m.).
11. Upper Dublin (18-3) Prev: No. 11 The Cardinals were eliminated by Great Valley in the district playbacks, but watch out for this freshmen-laden team in the next couple years
12. Shawnee (19-4) Prev: NR The Renegades play Wednesday at Ridgewood in the Group III championship game.
13. Lawrenceville School (13-7) Prev: No. 13– The Big Red fell to Malvern Prep in the Inter-Ac Invitational semifinals.
14. St. Joseph’s Prep (12-8) Prev: No. 14 –The Hawks fell to La Salle in the Catholic League championship game.
15. Moorestown (16-3) Prev: No. 10 – The Quakers were eliminated by Shawnee, 4-3, in overtime in the South Jersey Group III title game.
15. St. Augustine Prep (12-8) Prev: No. 15 – The Hermits fell to Seton Hall Prep in the Non-Public A quarterfinals.
Under consideration: Abington (15-5); Bishop Shanahan (13-4); Central Bucks East (15-4); Central Bucks South (14-6); Downingtown East (13-7); Emmaus (17-6); Hatboro-Horsham (15-4); Hershey (20-3); Manheim Township (21-2); Penn Charter (12-13); Penncrest (14-6), Ridley (15-5); Springfield-Delco (13-7), Springside Chestnut Hill Academy (12-7).