Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/4/13
From Press Release
Villanova hosts Syracuse today at noon in the BIG EAST men’s lacrosse championship game and an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament
Record: 12-3 Overall, 5-1 BIG EAST
Head Coach: John Desko, 15th Season
SU Record: 183-57 • Career Record:Same
Record vs. Villanova: 4-2
• Saturday’s contest marks the 8th overall meeting between Villanova and Syracuse with the all-time series favoring the Orange, 5-2. Villanova claimed the regular-season contest on March 23rd winning 11-10 on the Wildcats home turf.
How Villanova Got Here
• Villanova defeated the No. 4 seed Georgetown on Thursday evening, 15-12. It marked the second straight win for Villanova over the Hoyas this season.
• Senior Jack Rice (35g) leads the Villanova offense with 35 points while classmate Max Hart (20g, 11a) follows closely behind in the Villanova point race. Junior faceoff specialist Thomas Croonquist has posted a .556 win percentage this season, taking 184-of-331 attempts.
• Reed Carlson has earned the starting position in goal and posts a .473 save percentage and a 9.83 GAA. The starting trio at close defense, juniors John LoCascio, Chris Conroy and Chris Piccirilli have combined for 128 ground balls and 82 caused turnovers. LoCascio currently leads the NCAA averaging 3.92 caused turnovers per game and has posted 79 ground balls and 51 caused turnovers this season.
How Syracuse Got here
• Syracuse defeated the No. 3 seed Notre Dame on Thursday afternoon, 9-3. It marked the second consecutive win over the Irish for the Orange in as many games.
• Syracuse averages 11.93 goals per game on offense and surrenders 8.79 goals per game defensively. JoJo Marasco (17g, 34a) leads the team with 51 points while Kevin Rice (17g, 23a) follows closely behind with 40 points on the year through 15 games.
• Junior goalkeeper Dominic Lamolinara has been the primary netminder this season playing over 550 minutes in net and posting a 8.37 GAA. his 96 saves are good for a .542 save percentage. Lamolinara’s close defensemen, Sean young, David Hamlin and Brian Megill have combined for 69 ground balls and 46 caused turnovers.
The Last meeting – 3/23/13
• For the second straight time in BIG EAST Conference regular-season action, the Villanova Wildcats upset No. 4 Syracuse by a score of 11-10 on a crisp, cool night in Villanova Stadium in front of 2,527. Led by the career and school record-breaking performance of junior face-off specialist Thomas Croonquist who won an astounding 22-of-24 (.916) attempts at midfield, the Wildcats pulled ahead for the victory with just 2:44 left to play and held on for the win to post their first victory in conference action.