Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 1/1/12
The most read stories of the year for 2011 on Phillylacrosse.com were mostly focused on some of the tragedies and difficult losses suffered by the Philly lacrosse community.
Here is a recap:
1. Aug. 6 – Eddie Coombs and Robert Nagel, two 19-year-olds that helped lead Hatboro-Horsham to the state tournament the previous year, were killed in a one-car accident in Horsham Township. Coombs had finished his freshman year at Marist College where he had stamped himself as a popular teammate and future standout. The story got nearly 10,000 hits. Click here for story.
2. Feb. 15 – Gerald Ung, the defendant in the 2010 shooting of former Villanova and La Salle College High standout Eddie DiDonato, was found not guilty of all charges following a week of testimony. Click here for story.
3. Feb. 14 – Defendant Gerald Ung testifies on his behalf in the 2010 shooting of Eddie DiDonato. Ung was found not guilty of all charges the following day. Click here for story.
4. July 27 – Popular Chester County youth lacrosse coach Drew Bauer, 34, is mourned after passing away in a boating accident in Maryland. Click here for story.
5. June 5 – The Philly boys’ 2011 US Lacrosse All-America list is released. Click here for story.
6. Jan. 17 – Longtime boy’ youth powers Abington and Ashbee leave the Southeastern Pennsylvania Youth Lacrosse Association (SEPYLA) to compete in the Chester County Lacrosse Association (CCLA). Click here for story.
7. Jan. 20 – Eddie DiDonato’s spirit helped him overcome a shooting incident early in 2010 in Philadelphia. Click here for story.