By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/9/11
The final week of the regular season has arrived in District 1 and many championships will be decided Here is the year’s eighth Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings:
1. Haverford School (18-0) – The Fords keep rolling and have won their first outright Inter-Ac League title since 2006 after tying with Malvern Prep the past two years. They can finish up undefeated in the league by downing Penn Charter Tuesday at home. They close their regular season Thursday at home vs. Moorestown (NJ). Prev: No. 1
2. Conestoga (15-1) – The Pioneers claimed a key 10-8 victory Saturday over La Salle and now try to win the Central League title it lost to Springfield-Delco last year. They play at Ridley Tuesday and host fellow league unbeaten Garnet Valley on Thursday Prev: No. 2.
3. Germantown Academy (14-3) – The Patriots hold the spot even with their 8-7 loss to Malvern Prep Saturday based on a previous win over the Friars and overall record. They close their regular season Tuesday vs. Episcopal Academy. Prev: No. 3
4. La Salle (10-5) – The Explorers need to defeat Father Judge (today), Archbishop Ryan (Wednesday) and Archbishop Wood (May 17) to claim the regular season title in the Catholic League. Prev: No. 5
5. St. Joseph’s Prep (13-3) – The Hawks. Have an intriguing game tonight at No. 10 Central Bucks East (played at CB West War Memorial, 7 p.m.). Prev: No. 6
6. Malvern Prep (11-5) – The Friars appear to be playing their best lacrosse. They edged Germantown Academy, 8-7, on Saturday and gave Haverford School fits on Wednesday until the final period. They are a team to watch out for in the Inter-Ac Invitational. Prev: No. 7
7. Downingtown West (14-1) – The Whippets hold a 6-5 lead over Avon Grove with 4:56 to play in their Ches-Mont League showdown, which was suspended Friday due to lightning and will be continued this afternoon (3:45 p.m.) at home. If they win, they need only to defeat Bayard Rustin Tuesday and West Chester East Thursday to clinch their first ever outright title. Prev: No. 9
8, Avon Grove (12-1) – The Devils have 4:56 left to catch up to Downingtown West in the conclusion today (3:45 p.m.) of Friday’s suspended game. If they win, they could force a three-way tie for the title – but they still have tough leagues vs. Bishop Shanahan (Tuesday) and Henderson (Thursday). Prev: No. 4
9. Penn Charter (9-9) – The Quakers proved just how strong the Inter-Ac League is Saturday when they toppled Garnet Valley, 13-7. They will try to spoil Haverford School’s perfect Inter-Ac season Tuesday. Prev: NR
10. Central Bucks East (15-1) – The Patriots, who have clinched the Suburban One Continental Conference, face a major test tonight when they host St. Joseph’s Prep at 7 p.m.
Under Consideration: Abington (12-3), Downingtown East (11-4), Garnet Valley (12-3) Great Valley (12-4), Ridley (14-2),