By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/18/11
La Salle made the biggest move this week after most impressive wins over St. Joseph’s Prep and Wilton (CT), two teams ranked in the Top 26 in the ESPN RISE POWERADE Fab 50.
Germantown Academy also made a big move up with a victory over Malvern Prep.
Here is the year’s fifth Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings:
1. Haverford School (11-0) – The Fords looked like a No. 1 team Saturday at their “Checking for Cancer” Invitational when they handled the nation’s second-ranked team, Darien (CT), 11-5. They play at Penn Charter Tuesday and Radnor Thursday and then host No. 3 La Salle next Saturday at 10:30 a.m. Prev: No. 1
2. Conestoga (9-0) – The Pioneers also looked impressive at “Checking for Cancer” as they routed Greenwich (CT), 13-5. They meet Episcopal Academy Saturday in the 2nd annual Rivalry Games. Prev: No. 2.
3. La Salle (5-3) – The Explorers have made amazing strides since dropping their first three games of the year. We find out exactly how far they have come Saturday when they play at No. 1 Haverford School. Prev: No. 9
4. Germantown Academy (7-1) – The Patriots stuffed Malvern Prep, 6-1, and now face a challenging week by playing at Episcopal Academy (Tuesday), Downingtown East (Thursday) and New Jersey’s Peddie School (Saturday) Prev: No. 7
5, Avon Grove (9-0) – The Devils host Pennsbuiry Thursday in a non-league game against the Suburban One National contender. Prev: No. 5
6. St. Joseph’s Prep (6-3) – The Hawks whacked Canada’s St. Michael’s, 20-6, on Sunday and host Conwell-Egan Wednesday before gearing for a battle with No. 9 Malvern Prep on Saturday. Prev: No. 4
7. Garnet Valley (8-1) – The Jaguars are off this week. Enjoy the break! Prev: No. 6
8. Downingtown West (9-0) – The Whippets host Kennett Tuesday and then play another undefeated team, No. 10 Ridley on the road on Thursday afternoon. Prev: No. 8
9. Malvern Prep (6-3) – The Friars, hoping to rebound after a pair of losses last week, play at Lawrenceville Tuesday and then travel to St. Joseph’s Prep on Saturday. Prev: No. 3
10. Ridley (7-0) – The Green Raiders continue to be one of the surprise stories of the year. They will face a major test Thursday against Downingtown West and then meet Strath Haven Saturday night (7:30) at the Rivalry Games at Widener. Prev: No. 10
Under Consideration: Abington (5-2), Central Bucks East (8-1), Downingtown East (7-1), Penn Charter (7-5), Springfield-Delco (5-2), Spring-Ford (5-1).