By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/2/11
The much-anticipated battle between the nation’s top-ranked teams, Philly’s No. 1 Haverford School and No. 2 Conestoga was never close as the Fords claimed an 11-6 victory.
The Inter-Ac League scored some big points when Malvern Prep dominated Garnet Valley, 8-2, at Katie Samson.
Here is the year’s seventh Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings:
1. Haverford School (16-0) – The Fords took on another challenger Saturday and knocked out No. 2 Conestoga with relative ease. They’ll need to stay on top of their game when they host Malvern Prep Wednesday in the second meeting between the arch-rivals. Prev: No. 1
2. Conestoga (12-1) – The Pioneers were somewhat unprepared for the Haverford School game after a number of blowout victories since the beginning of the year when they faced some nationally-ranked teams. Now, the focus is winning back the Central League title they lost to Springfield-Delco last year and a date at La Salle Saturday afternoon. Prev: No. 2.
3. Germantown Academy (12-2) – The Patriots host Penn Charter today in the Inter-Ac and then face two local Suburban One teams (Wissahickon and Upper Dublin) before a big matchup Saturday at Inter-Ac foe Malvern Prep. Prev: No. 3
4, Avon Grove (12-0) – The Devils face their toughest week in their chasew for a first-ever Ches-Mont League crown. They host third-place Downingtown East Tuesday and play Friday at co-leader Downingtown West. Prev: No. 4
5. La Salle (8-4) – The Explorers are peaking now and waiting for their shot against Conestoga Saturday afternoon at home. Prev: No. 6
6. St. Joseph’s Prep (11-3) – The Hawks handled Emmaus at Katie Samson, 13-8, in a game that was not that close. They will probably settle for second place in the Catholic League’s regular season. Prev: No. 7
7. Malvern Prep (10-4) – The Friars looked most impressive in their 8-2 conquest of Garnet Valley at Katie Samson. They’ll need to play even better, though, to beat Haverford School on Wednesday. Prev: No. 9
8. Garnet Valley (10-2) – The Jaguars’ attack got shut down by Malvern Prep at Katie Samson. They’ll need their offense to return Tuesday when they play at Ridley in a key Central League game. Prev: No. 8
9. Downingtown West (13-1) – The Whippets were both impressive (11-4 win over Downingtown East) and clutch (10-9 wins over Unionville and Springfield-Delco) last week. They have two huge Ches-Mont games this week, at . Bishop Shanahan Tuesday and at home Friday vs. Avon Grove. Prev: No. 10
10. Ridley (12-1) – The Green Raiders face several major tests this week: Tuesday they host Garnet Valley, Thursday thay play at Springfield-Delco and Saturday they play at Abington. Prev: No. 5
Under Consideration: Abington (10-3), Bishop Shanahan (8-2) Central Bucks East (12-1), Downingtown East (9-4), Penn Charter (8-8), Spring-Ford (14-1).