By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/25/11
We are five days away from the 11th annual Katie Samson Lacrosse Festival and the much-anticipated matchup between No. 1 Haverford School and No. 2 Conestoga.
Here is the year’s sixth Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings:
1. Haverford School (14-0) – The Fords toppled La Salle, 13-7 and gear for Tuesday’s key Inter-Ac League at second-place and No. 3 Germantown Academy. Then, Saturday, it’s what everyone has been waiting for; the date vs. No. 2 Conestoga at the Katie Samson Festival. Prev: No. 1
2. Conestoga (10-0) – The Pioneers rallied past Episcopal Academy, 9-6, at the HEADstrong Rivalry Games and play Tuesday at Radnor and then host Marple Newtown Thursday to prepare for Saturday’s showdown with Haverford School. Prev: No. 2.
3. Germantown Academy (10-1) – The Patriots continue to roll, downing Peddie School, 14-7. They can move into a tie in the Inter-Ac by beating Haverford School Tuesday at home. Prev: No. 4
4, Avon Grove (10-0) – The Devils play at Sun Valley Tuesday and at home Thursday vs. Kennett in Ches-Mont League games. Prev: No. 5
5. Ridley (10-0) – The Green Raiders picked up a big 10-8 victory over Downingtown West and then handled Central League foe Strath Haven, 14-6, in the nightcap at the Rivalry Games. They play at Penncrest Tuesday. Prev: No. 10
6. La Salle (6-4) – The Explorers saw their six-game win streak come to an end Saturday at Haverford School. They have two Catholic League games this week and then meet neighborhood rival Abington Saturday at Katie Samson. Prev: No. 3
7. St. Joseph’s Prep (7-3) – The Hawks – coming off a huge 9-8 overtime win over Malvern Prep in the Kelly Rooney benefit game – play at Archbishop Wood Wednesday in the Catholic League and meet Emmaus at Katie Samson. Prev: No. 6
8. Garnet Valley (8-1) – The Jaguars, off last week, have a big Central League home game Thursday with Springfield-Delco and meet Malvern Prep at Katie Samson. Prev: No. 7
9. Malvern Prep (7-4) – The Friars must recover quickly from Saturday’s OT loss to St. Joseph’s Prep. They play Tuesday at Penn Charter while hosting Episcopal Academy Thursday in Inter-Ac games. Prev: No. 9
10. Downingtown West (10-1) – The Whippets look to rebound from the 10-8 loss to Ridley Tuesday when they play at Unionville. They then host fellow Ches-Mont undefeated leader Downingtown East Thursday in one of several games that will determine the league champion. Prev: No. 8
Under Consideration: Abington (8-2), Bishop Shanahan (6-1) Central Bucks East (10-1), Downingtown East (8-2), Penn Charter (7-7), Springfield-Delco (7-2), Spring-Ford (11-1).