By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 3/28/11
Episcopal Academy pulled off the season’s first major upset by downing La Salle, 11-9, moving it up four notches to the No. 3 spot. The Here is the year’s second Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings:
1. Haverford School (4-0) – The Fords, after a nice layoff, return to host Abington on Saturday. Prev: No. 1
2. Conestoga (1-0) – The Pioneers rallied for an exciting 12-9 win over St. Joseph’s Prep Saturday. They brace for a much-anticipated meeting against Baltimore power Boys’ Latin Tuesday at Franklin & Marshall College at 7:30 p.m. (originally 5:30 p.m.). Prev: No. 2.
3. Episcopal Academy (1-0) – The Churchmen looked flat-out impressive in their win over La Salle. They host Downingtown East Tuesday and No. 5 St. Joseph’s Prep Friday. Prev: No. 7.
4. Malvern Prep (1-1) – The Friars suffered a heartbreaking loss to Landon, 8-7, and now gear for a date Tuesday at No. 7 La Salle. Prev: No. 5.
5. St. Joseph’s Prep (0-1) – The Hawks surely didn’t embarrass themselves in Saturday’s loss at Conestoga. They have two big games this week, Tuesday vs. No. 9 Penn Charter at Cabrini College (7:30) and at No. 3 Episcopal Academy Tuesday. Prev: No. 4.
6. Garnet Valley (1-0) – The Jaguars earned an impressive 9-4 triumph over Hatboro-Horsham last week and host Unionville Tuesday and Upper Darby Thursday. Prev: No. 6.
7. La Salle (0-1) – The Explorers seek to bounce back from their loss to EA Tuesday when they host Malvern Prep. On Friday they play at Maryland power Calvert Hall. Prev: No. 3.
8. Germantown Academy (1-0) – The Patriots, coming off a strong 8-5 triumph over Brunswick (Ct.), host Abington on Wednesday and then embark on a trip to Virginia to meet Collegiate School on Friday and Norfolk Academy on Saturday. Prev: No. 8.
9. Penn Charter (2-0) –The Quakers, with two out-of-state wins, have a busy week. They play against No. 5 St. Joseph’s Prep Tuesday at Cabrini (7:30) and at Chestnut Hill Academy Wednesday. Then they go on a southern trip to Virginia to meet Norfolk Academy on Friday and St. Anne’s-Belfield Saturday Prev: No. 10.
10. Downingtown West (1-0) – The Whippets looked strong in an 11-2 win over Wissahickon. They host Owen J. Roberts today and Penncrest Saturday. Prev: NR.
Under consideration: Abington, Allentown Central Catholic, Avon Grove, Bishop Shanahan, Central Bucks East, Great Valley, Penncrest, Pennsbury, Radnor, Ridley, Spring-Ford, Strath Haven.
Tags: Episcopal Academy