Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 6/13/11
Inside Lacrosse listed these Philly teams in its Way-Ahead Rankings for 2012. For the full story, click here.
3. Duke – The Blue Devils got a huge lift this year from freshman attackman Jordan Wolf (Lower Merion).
Philly region teams
10. Villanova – The Wildcats return most of their top scorers, their face-of specialists and have a solid defense. They are listed as a well-coached team on the rise.
11. Princeton – The Tigers endured an injury-plagued season and, in all, 18 players started games. The defnse and goaltending should be strong.
13. Penn State – The Nittany Lions were probably the most improved team in the nation, thanks to freshman goalie Austin Kaut (Springfield-Delco) and freshman attackman Shane Sturgis (Downingtown East). Matt Mackrides (Malvern Prep) return to anchor the attack.
17. Pennsylvania – The Quakers started strong and then struggled at the end of the year, but enjoyed a major jump under second-year coach Mike Murphy by finishing second in the Ivy League – their best since 1989. Midfield should be a strength
18. Drexel – The Dragons were short on depth, but got another big year from goalie Mark Manos (Salesianum School), who will be back for his senior year.