follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: Penn rallies to topple Bucknell, 8-6, moves to 2-0

Wednesday, 2nd March 2011

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 3/2/11
From Press Releases

Coming off one of the biggest wins in the program’s history last Saturday, the question for Tuesday was how well would the Penn men’s lacrosse team would respond in its next game, against Bucknell.

Well, the Quakers made it interesting. They were down 4-2 at the half, and 5-3 late in the third. However, the offense got it revved up after that, scoring five unanswered goals and putting away the Bison, 8-6, at Franklin Field.

Penn – which entered the USILA coaches poll this week at No. 14 – is 2-0 for the first time since 2007. Bucknell fell to 2-1 on the young season.

Al Kohart led the Quakers with two goals and an assist.

After heading into the final period down 5-4, Penn’s Dan Savage knotted things up 54 seconds into the frame. Three minutes later, the Quakers took their first lead with a pair of beautiful feeds left Will Koshansky on the doorstep to finish Kohart’s pass. (Almost as beautiful was the pass Maxx Meyer sent to Kohart to start the play.)

With momentum appearing to swing in Penn’s favor, Drew Belinsky netted an unassisted goal, and just one minute later Koshansky faked a shot with his long stick, drew the defenders, and fed Ryan Parietti for an easy goal. That made it 8-5.

Penn keeper Brian Feeney made sure the door was shut after that. Feeney reversed his first-half fortunes from Saturday – after holding Duke scoreless in Saturday’s opening 30 minutes, he was unable to make a save against Bucknell on Tuesday in the first half. That all changed in the second half, however, as he came up with six stops and continually stymied the Bison.

Bucknell scored just 59 seconds into the game, when Mike Danylyshyn fired home an unassisted goal. The Bison doubled that advantage exactly 59 seconds later, this time on Ryan Klipstein’s unassisted effort. In fact, Bucknell would be almost perfect in the first half, shooting only five times in the opening 30 minutes but scoring on four of them.

Will Amling got Penn on the board with 6:29 left in the opening stanza, finishing a feed from Greg Ives, but less than a minute later Bucknell answered when Klipstein netted his second off a feed from Nick Gantsoudes.

Penn again drew within one early in the second quarter, when Kohart fired a rocket that beat Bison goalie Kyle Feeney to his right side. However, Bucknell again had the response, this time an unassisted goal by Gantsoudes with 5:38 left before the break. The teams went into the locker rooms with the Bison up, 4-2.

Kohart scored again six minutes into the third, making it a 4-3 game, but Bucknell doubled the lead again on a man-up goal from Chase Bailey. Nearly four minutes went by before John Conneely scored his own man-up goal off a nice feed from Rob Fitzpatrick. The teams went into the final quarter with the Bison leading, 5-4.

Penn is back in action Friday night, once again at home, as the Quakers host Lafayette at 7 p.m. Admission to all Penn lacrosse games is free.



Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines