Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 7/7/11
Three Philly grads – defenseman P.T. Ricci and midfielder Pat Heim (both Conestoga alums) of the Boston Cannons and goalie Drew Adams (Springfield-Delco) of the Long Island Lizards – will compete Saturday in the annual Major League Lacrosse All-Star Game at Cambridge’s Harvard Stadium at 7 p.m.
Ricci and Heim have helped the Cannons to a 6-1 start, and five straight victories. Heim, a seven-year pro playing his third year with the Cannons, has scored seven goals. Ricci, who was traded by the defending MLL champion Chesapeake Bayhawks just before the season began, has three goals and 29 groundballs.
Ricci, who served as an assistant coach at Malvern Prep this year, said the transition to Boston has gone well.
“It couldn’t have gone any smoother,” said the former Loyola All-American. “They told me they weren’t trading anyone, then the following Tuesday they called me and told me they had traded me to Boston. I was pretty frustrated because it was a lot easier to get from Philly to Annapolis, but I go up with Pat Heim so it works well. Plus, I don’t have to cover (standout and new teammate) Paul Rabil now.”
Adams (Penn State grad) and the Lizards are only 2-5, but he has a .511 save percentage and 91 saves.
MLL All-Star Game schedule
The 2011 MLL All Star Game will take place on Saturday, July 9, 2011 7:00 PM at Harvard Stadium in Boston, Massachusetts. The best players in the league will be competing against each other. The game will be aired live on ESPN2.
On Friday, July 8, 2011, the pre-game celebration begins with the Fan Zone opening at 5 PM, followed by the on-field selection of the All Star teams at 7 PM.
This weekend is jam-packed with lacrosse activities and competitions!
Friday, July 8: (All Friday Events are Open to the Public)
* Warrior 40/ ESPN Rise-Nation’s Top Elite HS Players Training Session (9am-3pm) on New Soccer Field: The country’s 40 most elite lacrosse players will be present throughout the weekend. Philly players include Sam Rohr (Haverford School), Eddie Morris (Malvern Prep), Justin Verratti (Salesinaum School), Ryan Ambler (Abington), Tyler Brooke (Conestoga) and Chris Panichelli (Bishop Shanahan).
* Red Bull Baggataway Tournament (3pm-7pm) on New Soccer Field: 2-day lacrosse tournament hosted by legend Paul Rabil. This event will begin on Friday, with round robin tournaments throughout the night. The two teams with the best record will compete head to head on Saturday before the game. The winner receives $5,000 and the Red Bull Baggataway Champion title.
* Warrior 40/ESPN Rise Skills Competition (3:30pm-5:30pm) in Harvard Stadium
* Fan Zone (5pm-9pm) at Main Entryway to Stadium: loads of lacrosse festivities and contests (click on the “FANZONE” tab for the list!)
* Free On-Field Clinic (6pm-7pm) in Harvard Stadium: Directed by former and current MLL All Stars designed for youth lacrosse players who dream of the big league.
* All-Star Teams Selection Party (7pm-9pm) in Harvard Stadium: Honorary captains who won Fan Fantasy choose the members of their team one-by-one. Come to see the teams being formed who will play head-to-head the next night. Fans can get up close with the stars after the teams are chosen.
Saturday, July 9:
* Warrior 40/ESPN Rise Game (9am-12:30pm) in Harvard Stadium.
* Red Bull Baggataway (3pm-6pm) on New Soccer Field: Continuation of the lacrosse tournament from Friday night. The two final teams will compete before the All Star game, battling for the grand prize of $5,000 and the Champion title.
* Fan Zone (5pm-8pm) at Main Entryway to the Staduim: Loads of lacrosse festivities and contests (click on the “FANZONE” tab for the full list!). Withersby will be performing throughout the pregame. Withersby, a band from NYC, blends acoustic rock with hip hop to form its own unique sound. Rally with some good tunes!
* All-Star Game Warm Ups (6pm-7pm) in Harvard Stadium
* All-Star Game Faceoff (7pm) in Harvard Staidum: The game we have all been waiting for! See the best players in the league battle it out for the win. Aired live on ESPN2HD and ESPN3.com
* *Bud Light Skills Competition Live at Halftime (8pm) in Harvard Stadium: The event is made up of three contests; the Fastest Shot, NEW Goalie Gaunlet, and the everpopular Freestyle Contest. The winners of each Bud Light Skills Competition will receive $1,000!
* All-Star Game ends and Player Autographs begin (9:30pm) in Harvard Stadium
*Bud Light Skills Competition at Halftime:
The Bud Light Skills Competition is a half time show , where the best players in the league compete in three shooting categories. The event is made up of three contests; the Fastest Shot, NEW Goalie Gaunlet, and the everpopular Freestyle Contest. The winners of each Bud Light Skills Competition will receive $1,000!
* Fastest Shot: Will anyone break Rabil’s record of 111mph??
* NEW Goalie Gaunlet: The Goalie Gauntlet is the ultimate goalie challenge. Speed, Accuracy, Agility and the ability to stop 3 close range shots is what each MLL All-Star goalie must have in order to win this inaugural event. Each goalie will weave through cones, make and receive an outlet pass, face 3 MLL All-Star field players and finally go one-on-one with another All-Star goalie. Can’t make a pass, one second penalty…….can’t stop a shot, one second penalty……..can’t score, one second penalty. The Goalie Gauntlet makes its All-Star debut in Boston on July 9thlive on ESPN2-HD!
* Freestyle Contest: Players have 2 chances each to go 1-on-1 with each goalie of the MLL All-Stars. Using other players or props is allowed. The winner is determined by crowd reaction, so players are encouraged to be as creative and entertaining as possible. Shots must score to count.
Matt Abbott, Chesapeake, Defensive Midfield
Drew Adams (Springfield-Delco), Long Island, Goalie
Mitch Belisle, Boston, Defense
Stephen Berger, Long Island, Midfield
Greg Bice, Rochester, Defense
Ryan Boyle, Boston, Attack
Martin Cahill, Rochester, Midfield
Ned Crotty, Rochester, Attack
Matt Danowski, Long Island, Attack
Chris Eck, Boston, Face-off
Mike Evans, Chesapeake, Defense
Danny Glading, Chesapeake, Attack
Kyle Hartzell, Chesapeake, Defense
Pat Heim (Conestoga), Boston, Midfield
Ben Hunt, Chesapeake, Midfield
Mike Kimmel, Chesapeake, Midfield
Jordan Levine, Rochester, Midfield
Joe Marra, Hamilton, Goalie
Matt Bocklet, Denver, Defense
Brodie Merrill, Hamilton, Defense
Brendan Mundorf, Denver, Attack
Stephen Peyser, Long Island, Midfield
Brian Phipps, Chesapeake, Goalie
Peet Poillon, Denver, Midfield
Nicky Polanco, Long Island, Defense
Matt Poskay, Boston, Attack
Max Quinzani, Boston, Attack
Paul Rabil, Boston, Midfield
Brad Ross, Boston, Midfield
Jesse Schwartzman, Denver, Goalie
Max Seibald, Denver, Face-off
Geoff Snider, Hamilton, Midfield
Brian Spallina, Long Island, Defense
Matt Striebel, Rochester, Midfield
P.T. Ricci (Conestoga), Boston, Defense
Joe Walters, Hamilton, Midfield
Mike Ward, Long Island, Defensive Midfield
Drew Westervelt, Denver, Attack
Lee Zink, Denver, Defense