By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 6/7/10
The Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) tournament heats up Tuesday with semifinal contests as Radnor faces Unionville at West Chester East (4 p.m.) and Springfield-Delco meets undefeated District 3 champion Manheim Township at Gov, Mifflin (4 p.m.).
This week’s Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Rankings:
1. Radnor (24-1) –The Red Raiders had two easy wins to reach the PIAA semifinals Tuesday when they will meet Unionville (at West Chester East, 4 pm.) for the second time in two weeks. (Prev: 1)
2. Springfield-Delco (22-2) – The Cougars rallied past Archbishop Carroll, 12-11, to earn a trip in the semifinals against Manheim Township Tuesday at Gov. Mifflin at 4 p.m. (Prev: 2)
3. Unionville (22-3) – The Indians get another shot against Radnor, which defeated them, 12-9 in the district semifinals. (Prev: 3)
4. Archbishop Carroll (15-6) – The Patriots suffered a heartbreaking 12-11 loss to Springfield-Delco in the quarterfinals. They won their 10th straight Catholic League championship and advanced tot he second round of states for the second straight year. (Prev: 5)
5. Great Valley (21-3) – The Patriots finished the season with three losses, but should more remember they won the Ches-Mont League championship with an undefeated regular season. (Prev: 4)
6. Strath Haven (18-4) – The Panthers made a valiant comeback attempt in their 16-14 loss to Springfield-Delco in the opening round of PIAA play. They won a share of the Central League crown with Springfield and remain the only team to beat Radnor in a regular season game in three years. (Prev: 8)
7. Downingtown East (19-6) – The Cougars made it to the second round of the PIAA tourney. (Prev: 7)
8. Episcopal Academy (16-5) – EA won its sixth straight Inter-Ac League championship and finished the year with 10 straight wins. (Prev: 6)
9. North Penn (19-4) – The Maidens were undefeated champions of the Suburban One Continental Conference. (Prev: 9)
10. Notre Dame (14-5) – The Irish placed second in the Inter-Ac League behind Episcopal Academy. (Prev: 10)
Under Consideration (alphabetic order): Abington (13-6), Archbishop Wood (13-6), Boyertown (16-5), Conestoga (13-10), Council Rock North (14-2), Friends’ Central (12-5), Harriton (13-7), Merion Mercy (15-5), Upper Dublin (18-1), Wissahickon (17-3).